Bitorrent Sync Blocked On My School

ohdude

My school was also blocking BTSync for awhile.  I'm pretty sure they were blocking packets destined for the BTSync relay server.  I simply sent an email to the IT department and requested that they remove the block.  I explained that BTSync is used primarily to sync personal data across devices and not to pirate copyrighted content.  I told my school that BTSync is a powerful tool for education and business.  They stopped blocking it.  

Otherwise, maybe a VPN to your home network?  I do site-to-site vpn across work and home and BTSync sees work computers as on the LAN.

My school was also blocking BTSync for awhile.  I'm pretty sure they were blocking packets destined for the BTSync relay server.  I simply sent an email to the IT department and requested that they remove the block.  I explained that BTSync is used primarily to sync personal data across devices and not to pirate copyrighted content.  I told my school that BTSync is a powerful tool for education and business.  They stopped blocking it.  

I did the same thing. IT investigated and found BitTorrent Sync OK, so they unblocked it, but only for my location. I think it's more work or maybe difficult for them to allow bt protocol while still disallowing unwanted file sharing. Perhaps you also have to clear a port number with them so that they can separate the different kinds of uses.