Sign in to follow this  
ohdude

Bitorrent Sync Blocked On My School

Since this year my school blocked the protecol of Bitorrent sync I think. 
I am not able to upload, download or conntect to other devices.

I stopped using dropbox for privacy reasons. But now my bitorrent does not work.

How can I deblock it :)

My school was also blocking BTSync for awhile.  I'm pretty sure they were blocking packets destined for the BTSync relay server.  I simply sent an email to the IT department and requested that they remove the block.  I explained that BTSync is used primarily to sync personal data across devices and not to pirate copyrighted content.  I told my school that BTSync is a powerful tool for education and business.  They stopped blocking it.  

Otherwise, maybe a VPN to your home network?  I do site-to-site vpn across work and home and BTSync sees work computers as on the LAN.

@ohdude

It actually depends on way how admins are blocking Sync traffic. If they are using some smart traffic analyzer - it would be hard to overcome it. Please take a look at this article - it describes which ports and protocols Sync is using, it might give you a hint on what exactly is being blocked.

My school was also blocking BTSync for awhile.  I'm pretty sure they were blocking packets destined for the BTSync relay server.  I simply sent an email to the IT department and requested that they remove the block.  I explained that BTSync is used primarily to sync personal data across devices and not to pirate copyrighted content.  I told my school that BTSync is a powerful tool for education and business.  They stopped blocking it.  

I did the same thing. IT investigated and found BitTorrent Sync OK, so they unblocked it, but only for my location. I think it's more work or maybe difficult for them to allow bt protocol while still disallowing unwanted file sharing. Perhaps you also have to clear a port number with them so that they can separate the different kinds of uses.