Tracking And Executing File Operations?

mcored

Hi, 

I have two computers: HT-PC and Mike-NB where I have installed BitTorrent Sync. 

In both HT-PC and Mike-NB I have:

\TV\Criminal Minds\

\TV\Criminal Minds - Season 7\

\TV\Criminal Minds - Season 8\

Now, using Mike-NB I move Season 7 and Season 8 folders into Criminal Minds folder, would that file movement replicate HT-PC? What I mean to ask is, can BitTorrent Sync track this file operation and execute an identical operation in that other PC?

Thanks and regards

Michael

Michael,
  It all depends upon the highest level of folder you've added to Sync.

In your instance instance,If you've added the "\TV" folder itself to Sync, you'll be able to move its subfolders around within "\TV" without causing a re-sync.

If, however, you've added the 3 folders you list separately to Sync, then in this case, moving them around in/out of each other would cause a re-sync.

Sync is presently only able to avoid re-syncing if it detects "moves" within a sync folder tree, rather than between sync folder trees.

A few examples to illustrate the current behavior:

Example 1:

C:\FolderA\

C:\FolderB\

Both folders A and B are separately added to Sync.

Moving "FolderB" to become a sub folder of FolderA (i.e C:\FolderA\FolderB) would cause of re-sync (FolderB will be detected as new content within FolderA)

Example 2:

C:\FolderA\FolderB

FolderA is added to Sync.

Moving the contents of "FolderB" up a level into FolderA itself will not cause a resync

Example 3:

C:\FolderA\FolderB

FolderA is added to Sync.

A new sub folder (FolderC) is then created within FolderA (i.e. C:\FolderA\FolderC)

If the contents of "FolderB" (C:\FolderA\FolderB) is then moved into the newly created "FolderC" (C:\FolderA\FolderC) this will not cause a resync

So, in summary, the way Sync currently behaves - moves within the "tree" (hierarchy) of an existing folder that's been added to Sync won't cause a resync; moves between "trees" of two separate folders each added to Sync will cause a resync.

Thanks GreatMarko. 

I have had added \TV folder in both computers. 

In such operation, I seem have lost a lot of files in the host PC (HT-PC) and that's why I was wondering what I was doing wrong. This is my original PC where I had the files synced to Mike-NB. Now the files are disappeared from HT-PC and Mike-NB is uploading them back to HT-PC (source). This happened after I renamed a folder within \TV. 

There could be things that I need to be careful of while doing such file operations. 

2014-11-02_07-41-10.png

@mcored

Can you please check if files were moved to .sync\Archive folder on HT-PC? Usually, Sync moves deleted files there. Actually, it looks really surprising that Sync is re-syncing files after move: even if file is deleted, Sync still keeps tracking it in .sync\Archive, and if remote peer wants to sync this file again (due to move, for example) Sync should instead get the file out of Archive.