Howto Move Btsync Folder Without Losing Key And Without Resync?

frank@btsync

Hi,

my used sync folder  (Linux, Raspberry) was located within a to small partition. Now I want to move this folder to another usb-device.

I tried to set a symbolic link from old place to new location, but get an error in btsync (browser) gui

How can I move sync folder without deleting peer and recreate it. I don't want to resync 10 GB with 3-4 clients over small network again :(

any hints, tips are welcome

Frank

How can I move sync folder without deleting peer and recreate it. I don't want to resync 10 GB with 3-4 clients over small network again :(

Step 1) Note down the folder's current key (secret)

Step 2) Remove the folder from Sync

Step 3) Move the folder to its new location

Step 4) Re-add the folder in its new location back to Sync using the original key from Step 1

Step 5) Sync will reindex the folder, but nothing should transfer/sync with your other clients

Step 1) Note down the folder's current key (secret)

Step 2) Remove the folder from Sync

Step 3) Move the folder to its new location

Step 4) Re-add the folder in its new location back to Sync using the original key from Step 1

Step 5) Sync will reindex the folder, but nothing should transfer/sync with your other clients

Hello I am a very new user and very green at syncing but Bittorrent seems very exciting for what I need. About the above solution for moving a folder, can this indexing of a transported folder also work for duplicating a that folder on a another PC with out going through the hours of syncing 200mb?

Thanks!

@GreatMarko

Perhaps you could just post that same procedure in the New Features forum asking the developers to add a new per-folder action to "relocate a folder", that is exactly performing the step you kindly listed here. Just ask the user to select the target folder.

@RomanZ

Sync might put it in the queue - but please note, that files will be removed from queue rather quickly, with no actual file body transfer. Sync will remove them from queue once file is hashed and hash value compared against the tree it receives from other peers.

Perhaps you could distinguish the case of a file in unknown state and a case of a file which requires performing some I/O toward a given peer. A file waits in the unknown state until the engine decides it should perform I/O. In other words, deciding if synchronization is required (chatting btsync instances, but not transferring actual data) is not synchronizing. Not yet at least. This could make things much more clear and apparent to most users.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

While this discusses moving a folder, can I move a USB hard disk.

I have a computer with a usb connected hard disk with folders that are added,indexed and up to date. Can I then move the hard disk and and sync folders to another computer and NOT have them reindexed and downloaded again?

Chris