Android: "sync Gallery Automatically" Doesn't Work

goli

Hey there.

My issue is basicaly related to those:

http://forum.bittorrent.com/topic/26567-btsync-can-no-longer-sync-to-ext-sd-card-on-note-3-after-update-android-442/

http://forum.bittorrent.com/topic/28275-android-442-doesnt-have-permission-to-write-to-this-folder/

But I might have a slightly different branch of that issue, though.

I'm perfectly fine with having my sync data in /sdcard1/Android/data/com.bittorrent.sync. I don't care about not being able to modify those data from other applications.

So being forced to have my sync data stored in here and having other apps not being allowed to write those data isn't an issue to me.

But unfortunately the /sdcard1/Anroid/data folder contains a ".nomedia" file, which makes every music synchronized through btsync not appear in my music lib. And that's the real issue for me. I tried to sync ~20GB of music which worked quite well.

This 20GB is now in there, and browsing through my file system and selecting individual MP3 files works. So the data is properly written.

But doe to that ".nomedia" file inside of the /sdcard1/Android/data folder, the andoid media scanner skips that directory completely. According to anroid documentation that's just as expected because those app specific folders are not meant to contain "shared media files". What a pitty!

I did find the "synchronize gallery automatically" checkbox in advaned settings, and I expected it to have the folder scanned by btsync instead of the media scanner and have each file added manually by the btsync app to the lib instead of relying on the media scanner.

But that doesn't work.

I don't know if it's btsync which doesn't trigger that properly or whatever. The only thing I know: If my data is stored inside of the app specific folder, my music lib just keeps being empty.

I'm on a Sony Xperia Z3 Compact running Android 4.4.4 currently. I know there is official root by Sony for this device which would help me to work around that issue. But since getting root form Sony will delete DRM keys and some proprietary libs from my device my camera quality will decrease, I'm really not up to rooting my device any time soon.

There are guys having some workarounds in place for that issue, afaik. They're basically saying: Extend the media scanner class and make it believe there is no .nomedia file when scanning your app folder.

https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=68056

Could this be an acceptable sollution?

In addition to this: Is there a way to have an android service run on android startup and make the according additions to the internal media libs despite having the actual btsync app not configured as "run on startup"?

Regards,

Stephan.

Hey there.

I just doubel checked with an image: It's not working, too.

There is a file at /storage/sdcard1/Android/data/.nomedia

Btsync is forced to write to /storage/sdcard1/Android/data/com.bittorrent.sync/

As soon as I move the shared folder directly to /storage/sdcard1 the gallery starts noticing my media, but then btsync is no longer able to sync.

So I expect the android media scanner to be notified about changes properly but most likely the media scanner refuses to take btsyncs media files into account due to that .nomedia file.

Regards,

Stephan.

• 2 months later...