Syncronization Frequency

sirio81

Hi, I know there's the option 'folder_rescan_interval' but I was wondering if btsync is able to detect the changes in a directory (add, remove, change) of files and start syncing right away instead of on a interval base.

I'm also curious to know what it may happen if I set folder_rescan_interval to

60 seconds

10 seconds

1 seconds

I mean, what issues may I encounter?

Thank you.

The rescan interval is primarily used on operating systems that have problems notifying applications of file changes (macos primarily)

Having a rescan interval that is too fast will cause your system to slow down massively.

If you're primarily using linux and windows systems, having a short rescan interval is of no benefit as those platforms have file-change notifications that sync has implemented.

If you're primarily using linux and windows systems, having a short rescan interval is of no benefit as those platforms have file-change notifications that sync has implemented.

Great!

In my case I need to sync 2 linux servers.

Thank you!

I suggest to insert this question in the FAQ.

If keeping the folders synced as soon as possible isn't too big of a deal, you can also lessen system impact quite a bit by increasing the interval to a few hours (especially with huge synced folders).  

I did this (mostly just pictures/documents synced to offsite backups - it's not so important specifically when it gets backed up/synced, as long as it happens a few times a day), setting it to 10-12hrs, and it seems to be working quite well with much less frequent cpu load and disc access.  I'm running windows, so the vast majority of things are still noticed and synced immediately.  Now if only something could be done about sync (1.3x) always using almost 300mb of ram...