Btsync Over Cifs

zatricky

Due to the fact that btsync is not yet available pre-packaged for CentOS7, I'm loathe to install it as-is on a particular installation.

The server I wish to install it on is a file server that also happens to have KVM virtual guests - thus a workaround is to install it on an Ubuntu Guest which then accesses the file server over CIFS.

The main problem in my mind is that I don't think CIFS supports inotify properly - but that shouldn't be an issue because nothing other than btsync will be accessing the storage directly. Are there any other pitfalls to doing it this way or other alternatives? Also, anybody had experience doing this the same or similar way?

Worst-case I'll just install btsync directly on the CentOS7 server anyway. It just feels messy to be installing things without using the package manager.

Edited by zatricky

@zatricky

In general it is not recommended to use BTSync with CIFS. The most common cases users encounter when they use SMB with Sync are slow files indexing, permissions issues, absence of notifications (which in some rare cases can lead to fact that older files from CIFS overwrite newer files on other peers). 

We are working to support SMB better in future.

I agree.  We attempted to get around syncing two Windows 2003 Servers (no run as a service on Windows) by mounting two Windows shares on two Ubuntu Virtual Machines, using CIFS mounts in fstab.  Everything appeared to run fine, only later did we find that all synced data had been silently corrupted once every 4MB or so. Since this time we've shied away from attempting to sync files across CIFS shares.

Interesting.  I've been spending a few days setting up few shares from my WD My Book Live Duo.  I finally got it working the way I want it.  Do you think I still run the risk of corrupt data in read-only mode?  I basically want to be able to access files from my mobile.  No need for 2-way sync.

I'm syncing from an unRAID box (which uses samba AFAIK) to a phone running CM11. On initial testing things work fine when using R/W permissions, but I can't get a 4+GB file to sync over wireless LAN. It stops at a few hundred megs after several tries with different large video files - and claims there are no files to sync even though the file is incomplete.

Shouldn't be a file system limitation as my phone is using ext4. Sync works fine to desktop over LAN on the large files.

Edited by Mrath

• 3 months later...

Is the CIFS indexing issue solved in the new version ? Having long indexing times when indexing on CIFS mounted network  drive.

* Edit: I have noticed shorter indexing times over smb when the option "store deleted files in folder archive" is un checked.

Edited by cpellerano

• 4 weeks later...