Why Read & Write Only?

Juice370

Whenever I add a new folder to the web gui (linked to Synology NAS) it's added as Read & Write only. So when I subsequently link the destination folder, this only accepts the Read & Write key. How do I add folders as Read Only, so if I edit the info in the destination it does not edit the NAS source. 

Thanks a lot.

How do I add folders as Read Only, so if I edit the info in the destination it does not edit the NAS source. 

If the NAS is the device that you want to have read-write access, then the simplest thing would be to set the folder up on the NAS first. From there, you will be able to get a read-only key to use on another device.

I must be doing something wrong in the process. Surely I have to create a remote folder and a local folder and then add the same key to both folders. Is it done differently than that? Do you create the remote folder, get the key and only then create the local folder and add the key in the one action. Can you not add it to a local folder created before?

• 2 weeks later...

@Juice370

I guess you got confused with the "Add folder" button. You are "Add-ing folder" on both your NAS and PC, and later trying to update NAS key to read-only, right?

You need to follow different scenario. Add folder on your PC, then "Share" it to NAS (or simply copy read-only key). PC will produce the link (or you copy key) which you need deliver to NAS. On NAS click Cog icon, then "Enter key" function and paste your Link or key there, choose the folder. In this case you'll add it with RO permission.

• 1 month later...