Computers Must Be On To Sync?

uncle808us

Hi just got sync but now I'm a bit disappointed. It seems that both the computers must be on at the same time to sync. Is this correct? If I put a new file in a synced folder on my home computer, when does it sync up to my other computer at work. Must I leave my home computer on? I don't want to do that. If I put a new file in a synced folder at work will it sync to my home computer or must I leave my work computer on this I can not do.

Then you should use Dropbox, Google Drive, Sugarsync, Box or One Drive. These are all cloud storage hosting providers (you pay more for more disk space). Bittorrent Sync is the same idea but without a provider that stores your data. So yes, one device should be always online, otherwise it cannot send data to the other one directly. That's the whole idea of Sync.

Dropbox stores your data on their servers, too.

Those services basically provide a server that's up 24/7 so that you don't have to. I found quitting Dropbox a no-brainer because my phone stayed on 24/7 and acted as the 24/7 server (unlimited data plan) so that everything else would be guaranteed to sync as soon as it was switched on. I also had a backup phone that stayed up 24/7 on my home LAN's WiFi, so that was two 24/7 servers. Dropbox was just a waste of money, and then the whole Snowden thing hit. Of course, I also have a couple of 24/7 NAS's, so I don't need to rely on my phones and I've now quit my data plan because there's so much free WiFi available. But it seems to me that keeping one device on 24/7 can be convenient enough if you can use your phone's data plan.