14 Locked Files

frank@btsync

using btsync now for some month

today first install in windows vista :huh:

btsync 1.4.103

all seems to be fine. I entered a link for a "read/write" peer

after full syncing and using this system I got an red error in browser gui "Status 14 locked files"

with mouse over I got an bubble message "locked files cannot be synced"

I found no way to check which files are target :angry:

where can I find a list of this files ? who is locking this files?

Only Firefox is running, no other applications

Frank

@frank@btsync

Try displaying the peers column, open peers list and see which files are in the queue to be synced. Another alternative way to see which files are being locked is to download Microsoft utility Handle and run it from console with the patch to your sync folder. It should show all the apps with file handle opened to your sync folder.

Hi, I am currently on 1.4.103 and have the same issue of locked files that cannot be sync on two diferente folders. Rebooted machine several times, BTS running for long time (weeks to  month) and the message does not disappear neither the number of locked files decrease over time. It does not indicate which files are locked.

On one folder there were 719 locked files on other one only 1.

This is an area imho that needs some improvements. The product is getting better at every release and despite this glitch, it is very good and usefull. 

Edited by Carlos Benjamin

I found that on the other peer, there is no messages of locked files. Also, if I open the peer list on the machine where the locked files are reported, the transfer queue is empty and the green checkmark indicating that the synchronization is complete appears.

The Sync complete checkmark actually appears in front of the locked files message.

Could it be that there is no locked files and the message is a reminiscence of the locked files when they occurred and are now synced?

Thanks

I found that on the other peer, there is no messages of locked files. Also, if I open the peer list on the machine where the locked files are reported, the transfer queue is empty and the green checkmark indicating that the synchronization is complete appears.

The Sync complete checkmark actually appears in front of the locked files message.

Could it be that there is no locked files and the message is a reminiscence of the locked files when they occurred and are now synced?

Thanks

same be my peers, only one is reporting locked files

and this is my only peer running with Windows (Vista)

@frank@btsync

Okay. Try collecting debug logs. Make sure that you enable logs, then restart app, see the 14 locked files, open the peer list and then actually grab the log file. Send it to me.

hi, send debug logs to eMail adress

hmm, some entries don't look fine :(

[2014-11-18 22:04:20] FC[7482]: LoadTorrent: requesting to load file .thunderbird\rhpkxqfr.elena\downloads.sqlite which is busy on disk - rejecting until file info is updated

[2014-11-18 22:42:59] MC[7482] [b899]: failed to verify signature of remote file .thunderbird\rhpkxqfr.elena\prefs-1.js, aborting

hmm, some entries don't look fine :(

[2014-11-18 22:04:20] FC[7482]: LoadTorrent: requesting to load file .thunderbird\rhpkxqfr.elena\downloads.sqlite which is busy on disk - rejecting until file info is updated

[2014-11-18 22:42:59] MC[7482] [b899]: failed to verify signature of remote file .thunderbird\rhpkxqfr.elena\prefs-1.js, aborting

Sync can't sync files whilst they're open/locked/in use by other applications - in your case, Thunderbird.

Closing Thunderbird will allow the "downloads.sqlite" and "prefs-1.js" files to then sync.

@all,

Viewing which exactly files are locked is considered to be implemented in future updates. 

So far, please use third-party tools to see the locked files ProcMon or Handle (for Windows), What's keeping me or lsof command in Terminal (Mac). Or any other you like. 

sounds great and useful :)

Sync can't sync files whilst they're open/locked/in use by other applications - in your case, Thunderbird.

Closing Thunderbird will allow the "downloads.sqlite" and "prefs-1.js" files to then sync.

@GreatMarko,

I can't believe this is the true reason, because

• problem only occurred on windows peer
  • it started immediatly after windows connect to this peer
  • thunderbird is not running on this windows peer
  • sysinternal can not find any used handle on this windows peer
  • thunderbird was running on a linux box all the time (for month), none of the other linux peers had any problem with syncing thunderbird files while it is running
  • I stopped thunderbird and was waiting, but windows still says "locked files"
  • I rebooted windows peer, but nothing happend, still "locked files"

Frank

• 1 year later...

I'm on 2.2.7 (167) and having this exact same problem:

One device (Windows 10) reports many locked files, in two folders.

Other two devices (QNAP NAS, Windows 7) show NO locked files.

Process Explorer reports only explorer.exe x2 and BTSync.exe.

LockHunter shows only BTSync.exe

All devices have been restarted, no change.

So it appears that BTSync is keeping BTSync from accessing the files?

*headtilt*

Not listing the locked files is a major fail.

-G

ggibby,

Do you mean that when you click on "X licked files" in Sync UI,  those files aren't listed? If so, then this looks like a known bug when list of locked files is empty. 

No, Sync doesn't keep itself from accessing files. If there is nothing that can be locking the files, then the problem might be just in UI not refreshing. Try also stopping explorer and relaunching Sync. 

Try seeing into ProcessMonitor , set filter with the path, and see if there are some other processes working in the share, and if there are some operations are "Access denied" for Sync. 

• 1 year later...

Hello,

i found a solution for me. My Error message was "... file is locked by other application", but in fact the process user running the rslsync service had no write permitssions on the local folder.

The process user for me is 'rslsync':
rslsync    531     1  0 Jun27 ?        00:04:20 /usr/bin/rslsync --nodaemon --config /etc/rslsync.conf

Here the group has no write permissions which causes the error
host:~/folder$ ls -la
insgesamt 35240
drwxr-xr-x 3 user rslsync     3488 27. Jun 12:02  .
drwxr-xr-x 5 user rslsync     3488 23. Jun 14:21  ..
... files ...

Solution for Linux/UNIX:
chmod -R g+w ~/folder

For Windows or any other device.
Check the process user and this permission on your local sync folder.

-tobias