Win 8 And Chrome 38.0.2125.111: Can't Open Links From Getsync.com

snlehton

I tried to sync my Android photos using BTSync, but failed to do so because on my Windows 8 machine I simply couldn't get the https://link.getsync.com/xxx link to open. 

It says "Just a moment while we start your request...

Please make sure Sync 1.4 is running to receive this folder."

I have Sync 1.4.103 beta running...

At one point the page was displaying a button with "Get the folder" on it, and clicking that button did nothing either.

Due to the restrictions on new KitKat android I'm unable to add the camera folder as a regular sync folder, and because I can't get the link to open either (or get the key by other means) I'm effectively unable to backup my photos - unless I connect the phone with usb cable and copy the files manually...

I tried to sync my Android photos using BTSync, but failed to do so because on my Windows 8 machine I simply couldn't get the https://link.getsync.com/xxx link to open. 

It says "Just a moment while we start your request...

Please make sure Sync 1.4 is running to receive this folder."

I have Sync 1.4.103 beta running...

At one point the page was displaying a button with "Get the folder" on it, and clicking that button did nothing either.

Due to the restrictions on new KitKat android I'm unable to add the camera folder as a regular sync folder, and because I can't get the link to open either (or get the key by other means) I'm effectively unable to backup my photos - unless I connect the phone with usb cable and copy the files manually...

Run btsync.exe /webui from command prompt as a temporary solution. Then you can access sync via 127.0.0.1:8888

Edited by A-E

Hmm, so I can enter either the key or the link in the "Enter key dialog..." Seems to work!

Why would I need to start btsync.exe /webui? It didn't make the links work.

But pasting the link into the "Enter key dialog" on either standalone version or the web UI version works. Thanks.

- Sampsa

@Sampsa

Pasting the link directly to Sync is a good workaround, since in this case getting folders connected doesn't actually depends on browsers settings. It looks like in your Chrome external Protocols are blocked. 

For Chrome I would suggest trying the following: 

Go to C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data,  quit Chrome, open file Local State in a text editor and search for 'btsync:true' or ''btsync:false'  Delete this line, save and close the text file. Now launch Chrome again and go by the link. It should work 

Also: 

Your PC should have these two keys: 
1) HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\btsync\shell\open\command "C:\Program Files\BitTorrent Sync\BTSync.exe" /ADDURL "%1" (ot it'll be C:\Program Files (x86)\ path, depending on your PC specs)
2) HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\btsync\DefaultIcon ""C:\Program Files\BitTorrent Sync\BTSync.exe" /ADDURL,0"

• 3 weeks later...

@blakev

Usually you don't have to do anything - you should just click the link and Sync will add it. Though something went wrong in Sampsa's case and looks like his computer lacks of certain reg keys necessary for Links to function.

Huge step backwards with this new flow -- very frustrating.

Links were designed to be simpler to use than regular keys - though they are a bit more dependent on user's OS.