Whats Your Sync Strategy Between Pc And Nas?

syncobit

I was curious on how would be the best way to sync the entire drive (backup drive Z:\) to a Synology NAS. 

What I did was just set up a folder in the Diskdrive on Synology and synced the full Z drive with all its folders.

However, does it make sense to sync the full, main directly with many folders inside or is it best to set up a sync for each individual folder in the Z drive ? I guess that will allow more flexibility when you only want to share a specific folder with someone instead of allowing them access to the whole drive. Or can you still share a specific folder from within a main shared folder?

Also, some folders int the Z drive almost never changes so I am thinking that If I sync the entire Z Drive on the PC instead of individual folders, its a waste of resources having btSync rescan it each time it syncs. Is that the case or it does not matter much if doing one batch folder or breaking it up into groups?

On the plus side, I guess its much easier to just maintain one sync job. Anyway, was curious on any technical reasoning to do it one way or the other.

Thanks!

I would not choose to sync an entire drive.

In my view, synchronization is not backup. I sync specific folders for which near-real-time synchronization is useful. I use backup solutions for backups of entire drives. In either case, it often make sense for a NAS device to be involved.

One reason I started using Sync was for the flexibility of being able to sync specific folders to specific devices, without having to reorganize those folders and without having to make do with all-or-nothing on every device. As you point out, these advantages are lost when syncing an entire drive, not to mention the performance implications.

If the drive happens to be where things like Windows user folders are stores, there are technical reasons not to sync the entire drive (or even entire user folders), related to where Sync stores it's internal data. But from the way you describe your setup, it doesn't sound like that's what you're doing.

Or can you still share a specific folder from within a main shared folder?

Nested folders are possible if all are shared read/write with all devices.