Migrating Settings To New Pc

mll

Hello there,

I've been using BT Sync on my former laptop with quite a lot of folders. I want to move their settings to my new laptop, knowing that the data itself is already copied to exactly the same folder locations.

What is the safe way of doing this ? My biggest fear is that the folder contents get screwed up.

I've been using BT Sync on my former laptop with quite a lot of folders. I want to move their settings to my new laptop

What is the safe way of doing this ?

Assuming you've already copied all the folders across that you were syncing, then:

1) Install Sync on your new laptop

2) With Sync not running on either laptop, copy the %appdata%/Roaming/BitTorrent Sync folder across from your old laptop to the same location on your new laptop (replacing the folder with the same name that already exists at that location)

3) Start Sync on your new laptop

Well, actually, it introduces a problem. The new and the former PC (wich I still intend to use) both have the same name and fingerprint (as per Preferences > General dialog box). And I suspect this to create some kind of problems with other computers.

@mll

That's right. The copy @GreatMarko advised will work fine only if you are moving from old PC to a new one. It won't work if you _clone_ Sync as it clones PeerID and identity. 

While identity clone is not going to cause big trouble, non-unique PeerID is going to. The most simple way to force Sync to re-create it is delete settings.dat and settings.dat.old file. Though, it will reset all your peer global settings as well.