Lightroom Users Do Not Use This For Your Catalog

xjcrawler01

If you have multiple users that might have Lightroom open at the same time DO NOT!!! use BTSync for The Lightroom database file. I just lost 2 days of work because 2 users had the same catalog open.

This is not an issue with BTSync but user error, and I don't want anyone else to run into the same issue.

I have not found a solution to the problem but PLEASE DON'T make the same mistake I did. If anyone has a solution to use BTSync with Lightroom please share.

I also want to thank the Bittorrent developers, i love every aspect of your product. It has made my life so easy managing files on 3 Macs / 2 Windows Machines / 1 Linux Server. please keep up the good work.

I wonder if it would be worth not allowing .lrcat/.lrdata to be backed up just to save users the same issue.

Just a thought.

Edited by xjcrawler01

DO NOT!!! use BTSync for The Lightroom database file. I just lost 2 days of work because 2 users had the same catalog open.

This is not an issue with BTSync but user error.

I have not found a solution to the problem

This is a very confusing/contradictory post! If it's "user error", then it's not an issue with Sync, and the "solution" surely would be to just not repeat whatever "user error" it was that caused your problem in the first place.

If you believe there to be a problem with Sync, please can you clarify/elaborate?

I suspect his issue is conflicting file made by someone else overwriting his two-day working file. Indeed a user error, and could happen with any similar software.

To the OP: did you check .syncharchive subfolder in your LR folder you are syncing? I believe it should archive different versions (conflicts) of the file, in addition to deleted versions.

I've had similar problems with Lightroom. In an older version (1.4.91?) where  I could not open my Lightroom catalog (Win 8.1 x64).  I only synced the Lightroom files with one slow Linux backup machine. I have a big catalog of photos (139,454 Files, 82,378 Folders). Deleting the preview data (lrdata I think) enabled me to restore the catalog.  

Today, I wanted to test Lightroom to see if there were any issues in the current version of sync (1.4.103).  I did not modify any photos or the Lightroom catalog.  As Lightroom began to do its regular backup of the catalog (lrcat file) when I closed it, I got the following message: 

LR%2520Prob.png

There is 500 GB of free space on the drive where Lightroom saves its backups.

@pjmsullivan

Actually your last post makes me to be even more sure that we are facing same issue as with office files. Lightroom starts complaining about inability to open file as it is opened by Sync at the moment. 

I can supply you an experimental build to see if it will help the issue with Lightroom.