How To : Install Btsync On Synology Ds414J

Procedures still works for BTSync 2.0 !

For those of you having the Synology Ds414j, you may have issues finding a BTSync package and told repeatedly there is no build for the Comcerto 2000 processor although just an ARM processor. After researching a great deal on various sites and how this was configured for some Raspberry PI, I found this solution. So here goes. Enjoy!

6 June 2016 : It is recommended to perform the procedures with root. With the upgrade to DSM 6.0, security has been enhanced. You can either login via root using RSA keys or do a sudo su after logging in with admin.

1. Create Btsync folders where you want the executable to reside.

btsync\bin
          \conf
mkdir btsynccd btsyncmkdir bin mkdir conf

2. Download latest Sync Arm from https://download-cdn.getsyncapp.com/stable/linux-arm/BitTorrent-Sync_arm.tar.gz. (This works in DSM5 but not in DSM6)

Note that after DSM 6 upgrade, the version above no longer worked. I found this version from http://help.getsync.com/hc/en-us/articles/206215185 which worked.

3. Extract to /btsync/bin folder

tar -xvf  bittorrent_sync_arm.tar.gz
4. After untar you will find btsync executable but if you run it, you will get a "File Not found" error. This is because it is looking for /lib/ld-linux.so.3 . However this file doesn't exist on the DS414j and the one that does on the DS414J is /lib/ld-2.17.so . So what we do next is to symlink it to the file that Btsync is expecting.

Note: You will need to redo this step everytime there is a DSM Update in order for Btsync to run.
cd /libln -s ld-2.17.so ld-linux.so.3
5. Create a default Btsync config file

cd /btsync/bin./btsync --dump-sample-config > ../conf/sync.conf
6. Modify the sync.conf file as required. E.g. Enabling username and password when accessing the btsync 
GUI - http://<your nas IP>:8888/GUI as well as your btsync default storage path. I just pointed it to /btsync

7. Finally execute the BTsync

./btsync --config ../conf/sync.conf

Success !!

/volume1/btsync/bin # ./btsync --config ../conf/sync.conf
By using this application, you agree to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use and End User License Agreement.

BitTorrent Sync forked to background. pid = 28823. default port = 8888
/volume1/btsync/bin #

8. Configuring Btsync to start automatically at boot

You need to create a  start/stop/restart/status shell script and place into /usr/local/etc/rc.d/btsync.sh

Please modify the file paths as per your install paths.
#!/bin/sh## Put this file in /usr/local/etc/rc.d/btsync.shPATH=$PATHcase "$1" instop)        echo "Stop BitTorrent Sync..."        kill "`cat /volume1/btsync/bin/.sync/sync.pid`"        kill "`cat /volume1/btsync/bin/.sync/sync.pid`"        ;;start)        su root -c "/volume1/btsync/bin/btsync --config /volume1/btsync/conf/sync.conf"        ;;restart)        $0 stop        sleep 1        $0 start        ;;status)        ps | grep btsync | grep -v grep        return $?        ;;*)        echo "usage: $0 { start | stop | restart | status}" >&2        exit 1        ;;esac
If there are any errors in the above instructions, please comment. Thank you.
Edited by fyl
Updated links and procures after DSM6 upgrade.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you very much for the guide.

When executing the command ln -s ld-2.17.so ld-linux.so.3, I get the following message:

ln: ld-linux.so.3: Permission denied

I am logged as admin through putty on my windows machine. I am also a complete noob in regards to linux.

Any thoughts on how to get around the issue described?

Much appreciated

Thank you very much for the guide.

When executing the command ln -s ld-2.17.so ld-linux.so.3, I get the following message:

ln: ld-linux.so.3: Permission denied

I am logged as admin through putty on my windows machine. I am also a complete noob in regards to linux.

Any thoughts on how to get around the issue described?

Much appreciated

Are you logged on as Admin ? If so, try with root privilege by issuing the command su after logging in as admin. You will see the prompt change to # which means you are using root privilege.

Hey fyl,

thanks for the help. I tried logging in as admin and issuing the command su but it did not work.

I then logged in as root and it worked. I was then able to symlink with no problems.

Btsync started and from :8888 looks very pretty:-)

Now testing the shell script. Wish me luck and thanks again

Shell script seems to be working very well. Restarted the DS and could access btsync from :8888. Already tested and syncing like a charm. Thanks again fyl! Your instructions are very clear.

In case other linux noobs have the same issues as I had, here are some of the stuff I also needed to get around to be able to make it work. Again, the instructions are clear if you know a minimum but if you are like me consider the following:

1. as mentioned in the guide, you need to have root previlege to perform step 4. Login as root - I used Putty from a windows machine and could only issue the su command to get root (#) if I logged into the DS using root as user and not as admin. Password for root is the same as for admin.

2. Use vi command to create the file for the shell script from point 8. Google a little bit around on how to create and edit a file using vi and how to copy the file to the intended destination.

Finally, I risked doing this even though I do not have a clue. It worked but I could have as well broke something. So be careful if like me you do not have a clue about linux.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I've got the following problem I'd appreciate somme help with:

BTsync set up on Syn. 213+

BTsync set up on Windows notebook

Sync directories are set up, keys shared, everything is syncing fine while in the same LAN/WLAN.

However, even though the NAS is online 24/7, the next day when I'm trying to sync from work, the NAS instance of BTsync is offline and I get the msg >no peers<.

What am I missing here?

Thanks in advance!

Hi everyone,

I've got the following problem I'd appreciate somme help with:

BTsync set up on Syn. 213+

BTsync set up on Windows notebook

Sync directories are set up, keys shared, everything is syncing fine while in the same LAN/WLAN.

However, even though the NAS is online 24/7, the next day when I'm trying to sync from work, the NAS instance of BTsync is offline and I get the msg >no peers<.

What am I missing here?

Thanks in advance!

You have to ensure your home router allows UPNP and check the sync config file and ensure UPNP is enabled.

use_upnp bool true

: Forces BTSync to send UPnP and NAT-PMP (whichever works) packets to the router to map incoming connections to it

As for your work network, you have to determine if the the necessary ports are open. Most company networks uses proxies and firewalls and will like have closed those direct ports needed for BTsync to work. If you find that you can connect from a direct internet connection outside your home but just doesn't work in your workplace, then most likely is firewall is blocking the communications for Sync.

Thanks for the reply!

However, in my home network everything syncs fine, therefore ports are forwarded correctly.  Also, as I have configured my office network -and opened 8888- it shouldn't be that.

The weird thing is, that the NAS instance of BTsync goes offline (over night) for reasons I cannot figure out.

Help is still greatly appreciated!

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

Thanks for the reply!

However, in my home network everything syncs fine, therefore ports are forwarded correctly.  Also, as I have configured my office network -and opened 8888- it shouldn't be that.

The weird thing is, that the NAS instance of BTsync goes offline (over night) for reasons I cannot figure out.

Help is still greatly appreciated!

I think I am having a similar issue.I have BTsync set up on my DS414j and all appears to be working fine. My directories are syncing, etc.

The problem is that BTsync stops running (goes offline) on the DS414j after an undefined period. Usually a few hours. It never seems to run for more than 24 hours and usually significantly less.

Is anyone else having this problem or know of a solution?

DS414j DSM version 5.2-5592 Update 4

BTsync version 2.2.5 (131)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...