Sanity Check For A Newbie!

Hi - installed btsync for the first time this weekend and had a read through most of the guides/forums and would appreciate a quick sanity check on what I'm trying to do!

I want to backup a folder from my Laptop onto my Synology DS213j. Btsync installed on both devices, added folder on laptop to btsync and copied the "read only" key onto the Synology. This works great (thumbs up btsync!) but is my understanding correct:

1) If my laptop dies (which is why I'm doing this), to recover the folder onto another laptop do I have to add the folder location on the Synology to btsync and create a new set of keys (whilst removing the old "read only" key link, even though it points to the same location)? I'm assuming I can't use the existing "read only" key as that is only good for receiving data (and thus a "read only key" is essentially a "receive key")?

2) Since the Synology btsync only receive updates, can I just ramp up the "folder_rescan_interval" to 1 month? My assumption is the laptop knows when things change and the Synology should just receive.

3) If my laptop rescan interval is 10 mins (but nothing changes), will this wake up my Synology?

4) I only want to sync whilst on my LAN (and I've configured this ok). When my laptop comes back onto my LAN, will this trigger and automatic re-sync on my laptop or do I just wait 10 mins?

Much appreciated and keep up the great community!

=> 1) You could simply save the Read&Write-Secret from your Laptop (Textfile, stored on your Synology). If your Laptop dies and you have bought a new one, you can simply add the Read&Write-Secret saved earlyer and your Synology starts syncing.
The ReadOnly-Secret allows you to receive and spread the files - but just the unmodified ones. If you change some files on your Synology via eg FTP, they will not be synced.

=> 3) Your Laptop would detect no changes, so there is nothing to propagate to your Sinology. It would not even know your Laptop rescaned its HDD.

=> 4) The rescan-interval is independent from the "rescan-network" interval. I assume BTSync is told by the OperatingSystem it got connected to a LAN, and starts looking for other BTSync-Devices (-> Synology) so it would need no more than a few seconds after connecting (At least my Laptop does need only a few seconds).

=> 2) I would say so... => Somebody got some verified information?

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the response lamacun (this is one epic bump)!

So just to clarify:

- I give my backup drive (Synology) R/W secret and make a copy of it too. I could just do Read key if I only write files thru BTSync;

- If laptop dies, I copy R/W key into new install and it *should* replicate drive.

The only reason I was nervous about giving new laptop R/W key is that I didn't want the new empty folder to wipe my backup drive (because it has Write permissions), hence feeling safer giving the Read only key to the new laptop.