Testers Wanted For Synology Packages

UPDATE:

Thanks for testing. With the launch of Sync 2.0, please see http://help.getsync.com/customer/portal/articles/1888507-synology for the latest on installing Synology on your NAS.

Howdy!

We're seeking testers for the Synology packages we've been working on. It's a stripped down version of the Synocommunity package that is hopefully easier for a user to configure. 

I only have a DS214 in the lab so I've only been able to test the ArmadaXP package myself.

Before we make these packages more generally available we'd appreciate some feedback; especially for the non-ArmadaXP packages.

Packages are available for these architectures:

Armada 370

Armada XP

Bromolow

Cedarview

Evansport

PowerPC

PPC853x

Qoriq

x86

88f6281

To know which package you should use, this is a helpful chart to cross reference your model of Synology device and its architecture:

http://forum.synology.com/wiki/index.php/What_kind_of_CPU_does_my_NAS_have

NOTE: The contents of this folder are 1.4.103.

For 2.0, please see http://help.getsync.com/customer/portal/articles/1888507-synology

Sync Key for a folder containing these packages:

BYD2RWABB66V5EBYSNSCBYGDZR2JNHN5T

If you're on Windows/Mac, you can add this Sync Key with the "Enter a key..." drop down.

Screenshot: http://screencast.com/t/Depp5kHoh

These packages are based on Sync 1.4.103, with some modifications to the WebUI to minimize clutter in file picker.

As these packages are not signed you'll need to modify the "Trust Level" of the Synology Package Center to allow "Any publisher"

Screenshot: http://screencast.com/t/W6bSeoHQ

For reporting problems, I'm a big fan of using Jing (http://www.techsmith.com/download/jing/) for quickly recording and uploading video or annotated images. 

It is a lot easier for me to understand and reproduce issues by referencing video / annotated images.

Thanks for the help,

Richard

Hi thanks for uploading package for 88f6281. I have just tested it, seems to work fine. However, there's one big problem with all syncing services on Synology, that is indexing service (synoindex) doesnt seem to "see" newly synced media files. 

For example: I want to sync a photo folder on my laptop to a folder inside "photo" share. Files get synced smoothly. However synoindex doesnt see those new files, consequently Photostation doesnt generate thumbnail for them and I cant view them on Photostation. 

I have searched around this issue and found this: https://codesourcery.wordpress.com/2012/11/29/more-on-the-synology-nas-automatically-indexing-new-files/

This is obviously more an issue with Synology themselves than with Bittorrent Sync. But is there any chance you can look into how to activate synoindex and maybe, possibly, adapt Bittorrent Sync to work accordingly? I would hugely appreciate that.

Many thanks

Can  you make one that supports Comcerto2000 architecture that is on the DS414j ? 

I made a guide below to install the ARM version manually but a ready built package from BitTorrent would really be appreciated.

http://forum.bittorrent.com/topic/32737-how-to-install-btsync-on-synology-ds414j/

Would be happy to test if you can make one.

Thank you.

Howdy, sorry for the delay. I was occupied with work to get done before the holidays and am now visiting with my family. I am on PTO until the 6th of January so my replies will be sporadic until at least then.

> Any plan to release BTSync for DS415+ (Intel Atom C2538, avoton package)?

I'm not sure that a package specific for that chip is necessary? Does the x86 package not work? (Unfortunately I don't have this hardware to test myself).

> But is there any chance you can look into how to activate synoindex and maybe, possibly, adapt Bittorrent Sync to work accordingly?

In referencing the post you linked to, it would seem that there would need to be some integration with the synoindex command. 

So far our methodology for official packages has been to not do extra custom work for each NAS platform, as then we must maintain the custom functionality for each platform. As our engineering and testing resources are limited we must be careful of how tightly coupled our integrations are.

I will catalog this as a feature request for our backlog, but I suspect it is not an item we will be able to get to anytime soon.

> This package doesn't seem to have restricted privilege like Synocommunity package. Should that be a problem where an user can see unauthorised folders?

With this package we run as the root/admin user. It should not be a problem where a user can see unauthorized programs because only an administrative user should be configured with access to the Sync WebUI. The BitTorrent Sync WebUI/dameon does not support multi-user administration on any platform.

We have chosen to run under a privileged user to have a simpler user experience. We found that requiring a user to configure user/group permissions for each folder to be too complex.

If a more advanced user wants to configure Sync in such a way then we would direct them towards the SynoCommunity package which allows for this finer control.

> Can you make one that supports Comcerto2000 architecture that is on the DS414j?

I think this should be possible. We have support with our ARM build for QNAP with the Comcerto chip and so all that should be necessary is wrap the ARM build in a package flagged as supporting Comcerto.

Unfortunately, I do not think that I will be able to do this until after the winter holidays. 

> Could you confirm how the application handles/replicates file permissions between two Synology NAS devices? I.e does it replicate the permissions on new files the same as the original file (unlike the currently BTSync software)

As these packages wrap the existing BitTorrent Sync binaries, they do not have any extra functionality over the provided binaries on the download page.

I installed the package "bittorrentsync_qoriq_1.4.103-1.spk" to my DiskStation 213+ and it runs.

But I have questions about permissions and at first I describe the history:

On my DiskStation I have different Shares and used the Synology CloudStation for syncing this shares to different clients. After the last updates of DSM and CloudStation I have problems with the synchronization and so decide to check out BitTorrent Sync.

At first I install the SynoCommunity-package of btsync and have problems with the permissions. I was able to add the keys and assign them to the existing shares. But in the log was visible, that no writing in the folder was possible because of missing permission. I try to add the user btsync to a group and give the group permissions for the shares. But this did not work either.

Then I see this post, deinstalled the SynoCommunity package and install your package.

I assign different keys to the existing shares and see no permission-errors in the log. But most of the directories are out of sync and for 2 big directories the sync-date is shown as "in 13 years" and "in 23 years". Maybe the sync last some time, but maybe there is still a permission-problem...

After this I create a new share with write-permission for user admin and 2 other users. When I want to assign a key to this share, I got the message, that there is no permission to write into this directory.

I delete the new share and assign the key to a new directory on volume1 and this was possible and seems to sync without permission-problems. But this new directory is not visible as a share and I cannot give permission for other users.

In this case I can live with this solution, because this directory should only be synced and not accessed via CIFS or NFS. But I have other directories, which should be synced and parallel be accessed via CIFS.

So, how can I create a share, which has write permissions for btsync and other users?

Why has the new package no write-permission to a directory, where the user admin has write-permission? In this post was mentioned, that the package runs as root/admin user.

Matthias

Hello.

I'm testing the x86 package on two DS1010+ (both DSM 5.1-5021 Update 2).

My Szenario is to copy all from one to the other NAS. Later I will synchronize dedicated folders over internet.

Install and config works.

One file folder works good.

One drive (560GB) results in about 460GB copied... Over windows folder access I could read the files/ folders but have no write permissions (except for root folder)... that could be the reason, why not more data are copied.

The user have r/w permission on this drive.

btsync tries to send data with xxx Bit/s (instead of 15 MB/s)...

Anyone have this behavior earlier?

Any sugestions?

Regards and a happy new year.

Ocramj

Edited by Ocramj

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the packages.

I have tried your the x86 package as well as the tip from gdanx on the DS415+ but I get an error message when I try to install: "This package is not supported on the platform of DiskStation"

mini_747155ScreenShot20150103at005942.pn

Edited by iRomain

I'd love to try this but you completely lost me with:

> This package doesn't seem to have restricted privilege like Synocommunity package. Should that be a problem where an user can see unauthorised folders?

With this package we run as the root/admin user. It should not be a problem where a user can see unauthorized programs because only an administrative user should be configured with access to the Sync WebUI. The BitTorrent Sync WebUI/dameon does not support multi-user administration on any platform.

Um,  I'm not setting this up without user based share control.

SynoUser Admin: should see BTSync WebUI and all shares

SynoUser John: should only see his shares (including those BTSync'd)

SynoUser Jane: should only see her shares (including those BTSync'd)

I can understand not letting John or Jane see the BTSync WebUI (although that'd be nice), however can you please confirm the admin setup a synced folders on behalf of John and Jane which the other can't access?

I still don't generally like the idea that BTSync WebUI doesn't have any concept of users, but that's not a absolute deal breaker.

Hi,

I've just recently come across BitTorrent Sync, so I'm new to this program altogether. I've also traded in my DIY NAS for a Synology DS214Play and I have been looking for a good syncing program that would run on it.

In any case, I've just installed the "bittorrentsync_evansport_1.4.103-1.spk" package and when I enter the Main Menu on my DiskStation, there is no icon for BitTorrent Sync. The text is there, but no icon.

I have yet to sync my folders and give this program a run. Is there anything I should look for in particular or just submit anything that doesn't seem to work properly?

Hello.

I'm testing the x86 package on two DS1010+ (both DSM 5.1-5021 Update 2).

My Szenario is to copy all from one to the other NAS. Later I will synchronize dedicated folders over internet.

Install and config works.

One file folder works good.

One drive (560GB) results in about 460GB copied... Over windows folder access I could read the files/ folders but have no write permissions (except for root folder)... that could be the reason, why not more data are copied.

The user have r/w permission on this drive.

btsync tries to send data with xxx Bit/s (instead of 15 MB/s)...

Anyone have this behavior earlier?

OK, solved the issue with reset the permission for users and groups.

-> Nevertheless it's strange why this occors.

The thing with (very) low transfer speed, was solved by selecting "Search DHT Network"

The indexing seems not working proberly. There are 110GB to be indexing... btsync says "indexing" but does nothing. A reboot of the source DS1010 worked (for now). I will reply when this occurs again.

@Flow:

I don't have an icon, too.

> Can you make one that supports Comcerto2000 architecture that is on the DS414j?

I think this should be possible. We have support with our ARM build for QNAP with the Comcerto chip and so all that should be necessary is wrap the ARM build in a package flagged as supporting Comcerto.

Unfortunately, I do not think that I will be able to do this until after the winter holidays. 

Thank you Richard. Looking forward to testing it :)

Ok, maybe I get some useful advice here ...

Hello to everyone.

I've got the following problem I'd appreciate some help with:

BTsync set up on Synology 213+

BTsync set up on Windows notebook

Sync directories are set up, keys shared, everything is syncing fine while in the same LAN/WLAN.

However, even though the NAS is online 24/7, the next day when I'm trying to sync from work, the NAS instance of BTsync is offline and I get the msg >no peers<. I also can't start BTsync on the NAS remotely.

What am I missing here?

Thanks in advance!

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I finally got around to testing BitTorrent Sync.

First of all, I upgraded to version 1.4.103-9 via SynoCommunity in the Package Center and it took care of the missing icon.

I then installed BitTorrent Sync on my phone and tablet, it didn't sync at first. I was getting an error that I had no permission to write to the folder(s) on my DS214Play. To fix this, go to Control Panel > Group > users > Permissions (tab) and check mark Read/Write access on your chosen shared folder(s).

I have yet to sync with my PC and Laptop. If any issues arise, I will be back posting.

Edited by Flow

Any plan to release BTSync for DS415+ (Intel Atom C2538, avoton package)?

Successfully installed on Synology DS415+, it works great!

Keep the good work!

I have no luck trying to install this on a DS415+. I have tried changing the x86 package INFO to "x86 bromolow cedarview avoton" or even "avoton". And all i get is an "Invalid File format error". Can anyone please advise?

Have you installed the package from the official synocommunity? It should work without any problem ...