Username Password On Windows, Not Mac Osx ?

increa

I installed BTSync on my Mac and Windows machine.

On the Mac, it starts up and runs each time I turn on and log into the computer.  If I do not log in, but boot the computer, is BTSync running in the background or do I need to log in first?

On the Windows machine, it does not start when booting.  Installation did not create a start menu entry, so I added a shortcut to the executable in my startup folder.  Okay, now it asks for a username and password every time when BTSync.exe starts to run and tries to log into 127.0.0.1.  This is the username and password that BTSync asked me to create when I installed it.   Why does BTSync need a new username and password when installing, and why is it needed to run the BTsync.exe executable?

Is this normal behavior?  Shouldn't it start and run even without me logged in to sync files?  Does the 127.0.0.1 browser windo need to be open for BTSync to synchronize?  Why do I need to enter a username and password for it to run each time?

Kind of confusing so far...

@increa

Which version of Internet Explorer do you have? Starting from version 1.4 Sync has a web-based UI. We use Internet Explorer engine to render it on Windows machines - and Sync requires IE9 or newer to display it properly. If IE9 is not found on your Windows machine, Sync will attempt to open WebUI in any default browser you have (and request username and password).

This does not happen on Mac, of course.

Both Mac and Win version requires Sync to be running and user to be logged in - otherwise Sync won't be operating and synchronizing data.

RomanZ,

Thank you for your reply.  In my case, the Windows UI runs in Firefox.  I was not succinct enough with my questions, so I think I misled you.  I understand about the web UI to the local IP address at port 8888.  Here is what I was trying to ask:

1) How do I make BTSync automatically start in Windows but NOT load the web UI ? I like it this way on the Mac)

2) Why does the Windows UI require a username password while the Mac UI does not ?  I am willing to accept that physical presence at my keyboard is authorization to modify sync settings and would prefer not to remember another username and password.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

1) How do I make BTSync automatically start in Windows but NOT load the web UI ? I like it this way on the Mac)

You can run Sync with the /MINIMIZED command line switch to surpress loading the Web UI

2) Why does the Windows UI require a username password while the Mac UI does not ?  I am willing to accept that physical presence at my keyboard is authorization to modify sync settings and would prefer not to remember another username and password.

You can remove the Web UI's username/password by running Sync with a config file once and resetting these values to blank.

GreatMarko,

Thank you for being patient with me.  I cannot find any file other than the BTSync executable file.  I don't have a config file, as much as I can tell.  Running BTSync.ex 1.4.103.0 on Windows.

I poked around the web and found references to create a config file using a command line option, but that appears to not work from the Windows executable.  So, I tried to find a command line reference.  Also, found only snippets in the forum with no explanation that helped me get the config file.  --dump-sample-config does not generate a config file for me (no errors either, just no file)

I am still trying to figure out how to remove the password and username from the config file and then run BTSync with the config file so that I can run the web UI with no username password.

Where is a reference for all the command line options?  For example, http://antimatrix.org/BTSync/BitTorrentSyncUserGuide.htm references command line option, but doesn't tell me what they are.

@increa, there isn't a config file by default on Windows

1) Open Notepad and add the following:

{   "storage_path" : "/Users/<username>/AppData/Roaming/BitTorrent Sync",   "webui" : {        "listen" : "0.0.0.0:8888"    }}

(where "storage_path" points to the location where your BitTorrent Sync databases can be found - usually %appdata"/BitTorrent Sync)

2) Save you config file as "resetpw.conf" to the same directory as your BTSync.exe executable.

3) Open Notepad again and add the following:

START BTSync /config resetpw.conf

4) Save this as new file as "resetpw.bat" again to the same directory as your BTSync.exe executable.

5) Run "restpw.bat"

Sync will start and the username/password should be removed

0.0.0.0   or   127.0.0.1 ?

(My UI starts up on web browser URL 127.0.0.1:8888/gui/ and I don't want to break what I already have running.)

Either will work! 127.0.0.1 will allow connections to the Web UI from that IP alone, 0.0.0.0 will allow connections from any ip (including 127.0.0.1)

Also, BTW, the storage path seems to be "C:\Documents and Settings\User\Application Data\BitTorrent Sync

Correct - on Windows XP/2003 it will be C:\Documents and Settings\.... on more recent versions of Windows it'll be C:\Users\...

GreatMarko,

Generating and using the config file was still a concern for me because I don't know what side effects would be caused by initiating with the config file you propose.  I find somethings that this often creates other issues that need to be cleaned up.

In any case, for anyone else who later finds this thread, I wanted to report an easier way I found.  In the web UI, Options, Preferences, Login tab.  I entered a null username, a null password, and the current password.  Fixed!  Now the web UI starts up and asks for no username/password.

Thank you for all your help.  Now I'm up and running!