Btsync Server Setup Problem: No Write Permissions

chicagonyc

Hello,

I have been happily using BTsync with my Windows machines without any issues. I just set up a new Synology NAS and installed BTSync 1.4.103 with the SynoCommunity GUI install. That part worked perfectly.

I was asked for the name of the server, as well as to set up an account. I did so and the web interface started up. When I try adding a folder or connecting to an existing key, I get the "no write permissions for selected folder error".

I'm a relative novice with using Linux based systems, so I'd prefer to avoid having to use a command line. 

It looks to me like the account I was asked to set up within BTsync doesn't have the correct permissions. But where does this account "live"? I don't see it in my list of users in the Diskstation control panel.

One other question: how do I "logout" from BTsync on the server? I had an idea to log out and log back in with a Diskstation user with all the correct permissions. But I can't even find the logout button, despite inspecting every menu.

Thanks for any help!

Any ideas anyone? I haven't done anything special. I'm an advanced Windows user (admittedly a bit weak with Unix) with a new Synology-compatible NAS, which is supposed to have a GUI interface for BTsync. I run BTSync and the first thing I try to do is add a new sync folder -- whereupon I get the write permission error.

Surely this isn't a unique use case....

The only way I have been able to get around this problem is changing permissions to 777, eg,

chmod 777 /volume1/Videos

But isn't this a bit strange? And insecure?

From my limited Unix understanding, I created a "user" within BTSync which has no permissions to write. But ... I don't see this user in my Synology control panel. So how can I give this user permission to write to the bunch of shared folders that I have created?

chicagonyc,

I've PM'ed you with detailed instruction on permissions. Try it. If you still don't get the satisfactory result, you may additionally see this topic or write to syncapp@bittorrent.com, refer to this topic and show (some screenshots) you your folder owners, users ,etc (like on my screen i sent to you) 

Thanks to Helen, we're getting somewhere. After SSHing into my NAS, I have discovered that the owner of the btsync binary is "btsync".

Eg, when I search for btsync (ps | grep btsync) I get:

18690 btsync    475m S    /usr/local/btsync/bin/btsync --config /usr/local/bts

But I infer that "btsync" the account doesn't have enough privileges. And I don't see the "btsync" account in my list of users to elevate its privileges.

And the shared folder I want to sync on the NAS is owned by "root".

So do I change the owner of btsync to "root" or do I change the owner of the folders "btsync"?

The very confusing thing is that the account under Preferences --> Login of the BtSync WebUI is not "btsync" but rather the name I entered when I first installed BTsync!

Admittedly I am using a community distribution of BTSync for Synology (http://www.synocommunity.com) but this seems very odd to have to do!

• 4 months later...

I had the same problem. I hoped updating to version 2.0 fixed the issue. But no...

It did notice that there was another owner of the synced folder and asked me if I wanted to change it. After applying "yes" I still got the message "cannot write to..." 

However, I did find a fix/workaround: I removed the .sync folder from the NAS-side and tried again... with succes!

Thrax Moraeulf,

Sync 2.0.105 on NAS runs under 'admin', fyi, so if you encounter "no permissions' issue, check the access for admin.

But I suppose you were talking about "this folder is owned by another sync instance" pop-up? It means that in the folder you try to add .sync is still present, and I assume this remains after Sync 1.4 by SynoComminuty, owned by "btsync" user, as chicagonyc correctly noted. 

So to get rid of that warning, just delete .sync from the folder.