Files Modification, Out Of Sync And Other Questions

dsanchez

Hello,

I recently shared a folder with 40 files with a group pf people. The files were shared as "read only".

My questions:

1) If after someone has "synced in" (downloaded all the files to his device) removes or alters one of the files, does this will be reflected in my 'original' folder? I assume that not because they were shared as "read only" right?

2) Let's say I share this folder with 10 persons. If 3 persons already got "synced in" (got the folder and all its content), this will make it faster for the remaining persons to get the files?

3) Why I have a couple of folders I shared as "Out of sync" and how should I fix this? This seems to be a very common question.

Thanks!

thanks for the quick answer!

I have another questions:

I upgraded to the latest version of Bitorrent Sync and then I had to restart my computer because it was slow (not a Bitorrent Sync problem I think). Anyway, when I restarted and re-opened Sync, all folders I was sharing were gone!

So here´s the question: Some hours ago, I generated a link for a friend to share him a folder. Because of the problem I described above, I thought that if I clicked the link i sent him earlier, I could start sharing/syncing with him again, however I get this "Pending approval" in the status column saying that "Send must be online and may need to grant access". However, I am the original sender!

So what do I need to do in this case? Share the folder again and generate a new link for my friend?

What exactly happen when I want to share again a folder I disconnected? I need to generate a new link to share? It seems I can not click the first link I generated to share again.

Thanks!

Did you send your friend a read-only link or a read-write link? If it was read-write, then you can ask him to send you either a link or the full key. Otherwise, you'll need to share the folder again and generate a new link for your friend. Sync doesn't know that you're the original sender, it just knows that anyone trying to use the link requires approval, and unfortunately you're unable to provide it.

The way links work (roughly) is that they provide enough information for a client to request authorization for a specific share. Once approved, the client is then able to obtain the full key for the share, which is what is actually needed to participate. Unless your friend has read-write access, between you there isn't enough information for you to recover the original read-write key (by design).

http://help.getsync.com/customer/portal/articles/1630195-links-vs-keys

http://help.getsync.com/customer/portal/articles/1628463-link-structure-and-flow

Thanks.

I am only sharing 'read-only' access as I don't want anyone to overwrite the originally shared files. I am using Sync to share files only, not to work/edit on those files.

Did you send your friend a read-only link or a read-write link? If it was read-write, then you can ask him to send you either a link or the full key. Otherwise, you'll need to share the folder again and generate a new link for your friend. Sync doesn't know that you're the original sender, it just knows that anyone trying to use the link requires approval, and unfortunately you're unable to provide it.

Based on your answer, let's suppose this scenario:

I am the original sender. I share a read-only link with B.

B download the folder. I disconnect the folder from sync. 
However, as B have already the folder and didn't disconnect it from Sync, will he be able to share the original link with a C person or not because I am the original sender and I already disconnected the folder from Sync?

I suppose the answer is no, B or me will have to generate a new link. Right?

Thanks!