Ipad And Swarm

Mas73

Hello,

I have a question about how the Syncing is working when using an iPad: is the iPad contributing to the swarm? I mean, once my iPad has finished syncing with my desktop, if I shut down the desktop, is the iPad continue to be part of the swarm as long as the App is running? For example if the iPad keeps running while charging at night.

Thanks,

Mas73.

• 1 month later...

I just tested this: My Ipad will sync the files to other peers, while the sync app is running in the foreground. If the app is pushed to the background, or if the ipad's screen is locked, the app will continue to sync for a few minutes and then shut down.

This is probably an ios limitation.

Please note that music playing in the app will continue to play, even though the app is no longer syncing. Rather strange. And even more interesting: If you play music from the app, you can't search the folder structure. You would have to touch back to get back to the folders, and that stops the music. But if you start a song, minimize the app and wait long enough before opening it again, the UI has reset, you're greeted with the folder structure again, even though the music is still playing and has never stopped.

Long story short. The limitations of ios are really very strange and prevent your ipad from syncing over night.

Maybe jailbreaking could help ? I didn't try that.

Hi,

thanks for the clear answer. I have jailbroken my iPad and it still doesn't allow for background and multitasking, it "only" opens up access to a lot of great apps and tweaks, some of them you wonder why it's not built into the iOS, such as having lower case on your keyboard, but that's another topic. So iPad isn't of any use for a swarm, it's just for having your data with you. I guess android shouldn't have this limitation since it can work in the background, if anyone has tried that it would be very cool to have their story.

Thanks,

Mas73.