Sign in to follow this  
MartijnHinderdael

Btsync As Backup Facility For Read Only Repository

I am setting up btsync on several machines in my house. BTSync will sync folders that need to be backed up to my NAS.

The NAS will then make a backup to a different machine from time to time.

One of the things I'd like to back up is the "/etc" directories on some linux machines and the "users" directory on windows machines. BTSync refuses to do this, as the BTSYNC user has no write permissions in that directory.

The thing is, I don't want BTSync to write in those directories at all. I want BTSync to just read them and serve them to another machine.

Is there a way to do this without permitting btsync to write in those directories?

Sync needs write access to synced folders because it creates a hidden sub-folder to store the ID, ignore list and archive. You could argue about whether this is a good thing, but it's the way it currently works.

The permissions trick works :)

Disadvantage is that I basically had to grant write rights to everyone in the etc folder, or choose to make btsync part of the group "root"

I figured that the last option was the riskiest, so I chose to give everyone permissions to write in /etc but not in it's contents.