Logic For Duplicate Image Names For Ios Camera Backup?

korzing

• 2 weeks later...

@korzing

The names you see are given to pictures by iOS. They do not repeat. If it will happen that iOS will give the same ID to the picture - it will likely overwrite the one backed up. Though, it never happened in our lab: iOS always gives a new name to photo regardless of the fact that some were deleted before and freed some names.

@RomanZ

That is not true if restart your camera roll, or change phones, which restarts the filenames. I'm having an issue where I changed my phone and now I can't sync properly due to files having the same name. 

There should be a way to rename the files to save both versions and avoid overwriting. 

• 10 months later...

You factory reset your phone and link it to the same iCloud Photo Account. Result: You get pictures with the same name thus bit torrent sync fails at syncing your photos. Other services out there solves this by using the EXIF-data and will rename the pictures to IMG-<date>-<time>.png or similar.

Because of this, Sync is really not useful for me who tends to factory reset every now ant then. I liked what I saw and will try it again once this glitch gets fixed.

You factory reset your phone and link it to the same iCloud Photo Account. Result: You get pictures with the same name thus bit torrent sync fails at syncing your photos.

That just does seem like an edge case though.

You can just create multiple/different backup locations for each time you reset your phone to avoid that, what you call "glitch" which is not a glitch.

IMO a backup should not mingle with my files in any way. A backup is a 1:1 thing

That won't work as I already have loads of pictures in my iCloud account which Sync won't pull out and backup as it thinks the files are the same. At least that's how it looks like what Sync is doing after testing a couple of days which even included a factory reset. To me this is a bug/error/glitch or something that makes Sync not working as intended. It does backup the Camera Roll but only the files that are named in a certain way.

I would suggest it's stated very clearly that Sync will not work in cases like this, ie. it can't handle users who have switched phones and starts naming photos with the same names as already are in eg. their iCloud account. Those pictures won't be backed up. This in practice means that you have one phone for a year, you shoot 2000 pictures and those are backed up my Sync. All is fine but then you switch phone and start using Sync again. The first 2000 pictures you shoot with your new phone won't be backed up but you will still have 4000 pictures in iCloud.

I do agree backups should be kept 1:1 - but for everything besides photos. Those are better identified with eg EXIF and is what Dropbox and Google Photos are doing. Just because anything else will fail in the end.