Prime A New Sync

42dev

I have a folder which contains several gigabytes of data and I would like to sync this to another PC.  What I would like to do is just copy the folder from one pc to the another via a USB drive and then let sync take over from there.  This would save me waiting days for the sync to complete.

Can i do this?

Yes sure.

So your scenario would be like this:

Computer A

Computer B

Preferably the same version of BitTorrent Sync on both machines.

On computer A go ahead and before adding the folder to BitTorrent Sync you want to copy all the files over to your USB Drive or wherever. The reason is you don't want to copy the .sync folder over to the drive that is created after you put it in BitTorrent Sync.

If you're done with that on Computer A you would open the GUI and add that folder you want to sync to BitTorrent Sync.

After it is done indexing all the files (I always wait until that is done you maybe don't have to do that but I feel more comfortobale doing it that way) you click on share and click on Copy to copy the Link. Make sure you have all the prefs right e.g. read-write or just read.

On Computer B you'd copy the folder to it's final destination and then open the link you generated on Computer A. You point it to the directory of the folder and it will start index it.

BUT! Make sure that the path is correct!! BitTorrent Sync GUI will add the name of the folder automatically so it seems like the folder "data" you have would like like this in the path BitTorrent Sync GUI is presenting you "Users/blah/BTS/data/data" it would put data a second time there and you don't wanna do this.

Long explenation but I think that was what you were looking for. Hope you get it working :)

• 4 weeks later...

I am attempting to use this service to sync up 6TB+ of media content to make mirrors of my Plex server so when adding new content I can add it locally then it pushes out to the multiple mirrors for then later streaming back to myself.  I did the steps as above (minus) the indexing part which is taking a very long time.

I'm assuming the long read and write between the boxes is the sync verifying file-names and not the actual file?

Also in a read only environment (my box being a master), if I delete or replace a file does it delete and update the file on the other end?  I don't want a remote computer accidentally deleting any of my main content.

Do I get it right and you didn't wait for indexing to finish before you shared the folder? 

I'm assuming the long read and write between the boxes is the sync verifying file-names and not the actual file?

Sorry, but what is 'long read and write"? You mean indexing? During this process Sync reads and hashes each file, then compares the hashes to those on other peers.  So if you have a lot of files and they are streamed at the moment, indexing may rally take much time.

I don't want a remote computer accidentally deleting any of my main content.

Then this computer should receive RO key from your master box.