Sign in to follow this  
voyager529

Mouse Lag. So Much Mouse Lag...

Recommended Posts

Hey everyone!

 

So, I've got a small group of folks with whom I've been using BT Sync for about a year now. They all have Windows machines of one form or another, but they all sync back to a Nas4Free box running BT Sync as an init script. This has worked wonderfully, everyone's happy, rainbows and unicorns abound.

 

Until last night.

 

One of the users was running a vintage 2007 (i.e. Vista-era) small-form-factor HP, which needed to go. So, I made her a custom build - Biostar mobo, 3.4GHz Core i5, 16GB of RAM, Win7 x64, 240GB PNY SSD, and a 1TB WD Black drive for data. The thing flies like it's got the cops on its tail - from bootstrap to desktop in nine seconds. One point of contention I'm hoping to rectify this year is that she's stuck using wi-fi due to the building layout...but she's using a dual band Hawking Technology USB adapter that's correctly configured for the Asus RT-N56U router it connects to, so she gets 13MBytes/sec real-world throughput, so it's no slouch in that respect.

 

I had the machine built out PERFECTLY, with all her software and data where it should be, all that was left was to get BT Sync set up. Well, I did that...and when it was syncing, there was mouse lag. BOY was there mouse lag. I'm talking 1.5 seconds of cursor lockup, only to appear roughly halfway between "where it should be" and "where I last saw it".

 

A few people who experienced mouse lag like that suggested that it might be the NIC. I didn't happen to have a spare wi-fi adapter with me, and the overlap between "stores that sell wifi adapters" and "stores that are open at 1AM" is rather sparse. I did try reinstalling drivers, using the Hawking utility rather than Windows, going between the USB 3.0 controller and the 2.0 controller, swapping out the mouse for another one, fiddling with the interesting options in the driver control panel, updating Flash Player, etc. Then, I paused Sync. All lag went away completely, no problem. Started Sync again, lag city. Killed the process, no lag. Started process, lag. With BT Sync as the only variable, and a very consistently reproducible problem, I decided to address it in the Sync config panel.

 

If it was an option in Sync, I tried it - increasing buffer size, decreasing buffer size, manually specifying the host, enabling/disabling UPnP, low/high disk priority, encrypt/decrypt LAN traffic...everything that seemed relevant. No love. I ensured that both the NAS and the computer were running the latest build. Still the same situation.

 

No other computer in the network exhibits this issue, including the old one.

 

While I'm willing to replace the Wi-Fi card, I'm hesitant to do so because it would seem a bit strange for the card to be the problem when it's the exact same unit I pulled from the old machine. If it's a setting issue on Sync, I'm certainly willing to change it; I took guesses at everything I was trying to sync.

 

Please let me know if anyone else has experienced this issue, or if I can provide further information to assist in solving the problem.

 

Best regards,

Joey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this