Folder Already Owned By Another (Older) Sync Instance

Mrath

I have Sync set up on my Raspberry Pi running Raspbian. I access it with my Linux desktop browser on my home network.

All of a sudden I can't log into Sync, and was requested to create a new user. I did so, but when I go to add a folder which was previously assigned to the old non-functioning Sync, I get the error "This folder is already owned by another Sync instance. Do you want to reset ownership?"

So it appears my old Sync installation is still somewhere on the Raspi, but not accessible.

Can I reset the ownership to the new instance of Sync, or is there a way to recover the old installation?

Mrath,

Yes, you can. 

Sync sees that there is some .sync subfolder in the folder you are trying to add, so it just warns you that it might be syncing via another Sync instance (which is unlikely, but Sync has no chance to know for sure, so it just warns you). 

So, you may either say "Yes" or go to your folder and delete .sync subfolder, add the folder to Sync again. 

Why you were requested to setup new login/password and you folders were gone - is another story. It comes from all setting and configs of Sync being lost or not readable, or rest. In its own turn is may have dozen of reasons, like bad update process or some crashes, or access to the folder locked, etc. 

Thanks, Helen. I guess I'll have to rebuild my setup.

My permissions haven't changed, and Sync survived several reboots before this happened. This is a rather big issue, as if that happens occasionally I have to rebuild my entire Sync setup, which is a major PITA. Where does Sync save folders synced on Linux systems so I can back up my config?

If Sync doesn't have a robust crash recovery and a way to avoid this, or at least rebuild easily, might need to go with a more reliable solution like rsync.

This thread seems to be a similar issue, and especially Tuxpoldo's response.

Where does Sync save folders synced on Linux systems so I can back up my config?

If you use our binary, it's in .sync folder near the binary. or wherever "storage_path" in your config points 

I suppose you define credentials in the config? If yes, after fresh reinstall launch Sync without config and without credentials for the fist time.

This issue was previously addressed and fixed, though. What Sync version do you use?