[Solved] Sync Now Asks For Admin Login Upon Startup

luckycharms

Hi all,

Been using sync for coming on a year now.  Just recently upgraded to 1.4.106 on my Win 7 Ent x64 box, and now it's asking me for an admin login every time I start it up.  I say "no" (since i don't have admin rights), and it seems to work ok.  But annoying to keep being asked.  Tried installing as admin (had my IT guy do that), but still have the same problem.

Any ideas about what might be happening?

thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Exactly the same behavior exists on my computers (Win7 Prof. x64 and x32 with BTS Ver. 1.4.110). It is the classic Windows UAC popup. BitTorent Sync works fine if it gets no admin rights. My Account only have "user rights" (no admin rights) on the PC.

Thanks for feedback or support.

Edited by macgyver

all,

It looks like installation was done by admin with all keys going to HKCU, but update - by users, so the keys didn't get updated. 

What was you installation and how exactly you launch Sync, from where? 

Also, go to Registry Editor [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\BitTorrent\Sync]  and see what Revision key you have (send a screenshot) 

I have exactly the same problem. How do I send a screenshot? My Revision data is 101004c.

berradio, a screenshot isn't necessary seeing as you've provided your registry value.

However, does Helen's description sound like it could be applicable to your case? i.e. Sync was originally installed under one user account, but then subsequently updated under another?

Does changing the "Revision" value in the registry under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\BitTorrent\Sync to from "101004c" to "104006e" (Hexadecimal) make any difference?

berradio, a screenshot isn't necessary seeing as you've provided your registry value.

However, does Helen's description sound like it could be applicable to your case? i.e. Sync was originally installed under one user account, but then subsequently updated under another?

Does changing the "Revision" value in the registry under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\BitTorrent\Sync to from "101004c" to "104006e" (Hexadecimal) make any difference?

I have 2 accounts on my Win 7 64-bit machine. One is an admin account and the other standard. I don't recall under which account I originally installed. But the update was done on the standard account using the admin password. In any event, once I had this problem, I uninstalled and then re-installed under the admin account. I have this problem only when starting sync on the standard account. It starts on the admin account without asking for any password. Also, it appears that the start on the standard account is with a command line to install since when I look at details it has /PERFORMINSTALL 128 and then a file with a number.

I have 2 accounts on my Win 7 64-bit machine. One is an admin account and the other standard. I don't recall under which account I originally installed. But the update was done on the standard account using the admin password. In any event, once I had this problem, I uninstalled and then re-installed under the admin account. I have this problem only when starting sync on the standard account. It starts on the admin account without asking for any password. Also, it appears that the start on the standard account is with a command line to install since when I look at details it has /PERFORMINSTALL 128 and then a file with a number.

I just checked again. My admin account has 104006e. My standard account had 101004c. I changed it to 104006e and now Bittorrent Sync starts on that account without asking for the admin password. Problem solved.

For me it is similar...

Installation and updates run as Admin - BTS ask with UAC for admin-rights

Software start and all futher configurations are made as stanard-user.

The registry as Admin (much more values as in user context)

(sorry, I'm not allowed to use images here)

(First)In Registry as User there is no "Revision" Value

I add the missing value an everything works fine.

Great! Thanks for your fast support!

Edited by macgyver

• 7 months later...

Still offering support on v.1.4.110? Because I just updated from 1.4.103 to .110 and am now seeing the same symptoms as Bertradio above. After bootup and when logging-in to my non-admin account on my Win 7 64-bit machine, I get the standard Windows pop-up asking for the Admin credentials because BTSync wants permissions:

"c:\...\BTSync\BTSync.exe" \MINIMIZED\PERFORMINSTALL 128 "c:\...\BTSync" 0

But BTSync is installed already. If I say "No" (no admin credentials) then BTSync runs ok. So it's annoying, but not the end of the world.

The "Revision" value in the registry under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\BitTorrent\Sync is set to "104006e" (Hexadecimal)

Thanks in advance for any help.

-iM-

\PERFORMINSTALL means that Sync is not installed properly and there is something wrong with the key. Did you create it manually after update? Or just changed the value? Make sure it's REG_DWORD type.

Just double checked it and with the fixed Revision UAC is not prompted. 

Dear Helen, thanks for responding.

> not installed properly

I suspected as much and actually reinstalled BTSync a number of times, even trying the 32bit version instead -- but even then, the issue persisted: I was requested for the admin password after every restart.

I have now reverted to v. 1.4.103 on my Windows machine and it's communicating fine with the 1.4.110 on my Debian boxes.

• 3 months later...

Why is this problem considered "solved"? It's just "workarounded".

It's not possible to update BTSync when there is a non-admin user who's using it.

Every time he starts BTSync after an update it will keep asking for admin password. Even if you provide it it won't stop asking for the password unless you make that user admin and then you can finish the update.