Latest Desktop Build 1.4.110

RomanZ

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK. Think I've found the cause that prevents my nas from sleeping. After upgrading sync to 1.4.110 and adding the required lines to my config file so it looks like this

{

"storage_path" : "/mnt/HD/HD_a2/Nas_Prog/BitTorrentSync/.sync",

"check_for_updates" : true,

"use_upnp" : true,

"webui" :

{

"directory_root" : "/mnt/HD/HD_a2/",

"listen" : "0.0.0.0:39426"

},

"folder_rescan_interval" : 86400,

"config_refresh_interval" : 86400,

"config_save_interval" : 86400

}

I found that my nas was still staying awake. even with sync shutdown on all other devices. and at one point I even unplugged my nas from the network for an hour to guarantee there was no possible connection to it, but it still would not sleep.

Anyway, from there I was getting a bit frustrated and decided to tinker around with putty, mc and some very long log files and I believe I have found the cause of my nas always being awake and I believe it to be the trackers on my shares. here is a screenshot of my logfile.

9v9a57z.png

as you can see sync appears to be requesting peers from my trackers every 2-3 minutes and I believe this is the cause of my nas staying awake.

to test this theory I disabled trackers on my shares and after 5-10 minutes my nas dropped right into sleep mode and stayed asleep for about an hour until i putty'd in and checked the log file which had no entries in that time.

i then left my nas running over night connected to an energy monitor, checked the log files this morning and they were clear, and the energy monitor detected no increase in power drain suggesting that my nas had stayed asleep the whole night.

I then decided to reeneable trackers and left my nas to run while i went to work. upon returning home once again checked the energy monitor and logs, found no drop in power drain to signify my nas ever slept and the log file full of lines like those in the screenshot above.

So now i have once again turned trackers off on my shares, only now i find that my folders don't seem to sync. i randomly dumped a dozen photos in my documents folder and after an hour of being home my nas still hasn't woke up to sync the files, I'm not sure if this is directly related to the trackers option or maybe connected to the "folders stuck out of sync bug" mentioned in the op of this thread.

so it seems in solving the sleep issue i have created a sync issue.

Any suggestions on what to do next?

@RomanZ

I have updated my QNAP NAS to 1.4.110 in order to test the HDD sleep fix. I have added the 3 lines to the config but I am not sure what to do with the debug.txt. 

What do you mean my storage folder? Should I create one in each shared folder that I have on the NAS?

Thanks.

@3zero2

Storage folder is a folder where Sync keeps its databases and other service data. By default, it is the .sync subfolder in the same folder where binary stays. However, if you installed Sync via package it might be different. Please see this article as it describes what are the storage folders for different NAS vendors. You need to create a debug.txt there and put the "0000" there to prevent writing any data to a log.

Sorry for asking a stupid question, but in Linux version the web interface shows "Advanced preferences", but not "More option" (for "very advanced preferences") in the web interface. I guess that it means that they should be changed in the config file. Is there any HOWTO describing how to create/use this config file (or find it if it is created automatically) and how to change it (the syntax rules)?

@alexander-shen

try running ./btsync --dump-sample-config

For the list of preferences see this article.

@knwpsk

What do you mean under "fails to start"? Does it show some message or simply does not start? If the latest - could you please check what is actually written in the registry key "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\BitTorrent Sync"?

I have a folder (136GB, almost 1 million files) that doesn't want to sync.

The log shows the following error: SyncTcpReq: Unable to uncompress incoming data, err = -5

There is heavy traficc between the two hosts (5 to 20 Mbps) but the folder remains out of sync. So far only 18.83GB have been synced.

Using 1.4.110 on Windows 2012 R2.

Regards,

David

However... It is reindexing... I have seen this on a few computers, there are certain folders that go trhough a full reindex everytime you start the app... Annoying.

Sync needs to re-index folders its monitoring upon application startup in order to detect if any of those files have changed during the period whilst Sync wasn't running.

However, this re-indexing process on application startup should be considerably faster than the initial indexing when you first add a new folder to Sync.

Sync needs to re-index folders its monitoring upon application startup in order to detect if any of those files have changed during the period whilst Sync wasn't running.

However, this re-indexing process on application startup should be considerably faster than the initial indexing when you first add a new folder to Sync.

I do not mind that kind of reindexing. I mean that app starts, the folder shows 0 in size, and starts scanning all the files again. The history even says "new file added".

Mine does that all the time, I have 15 folders and 5 or 6 of them do a full reindex everytime they are started... The other folders show X GB, those 5 or 6 show 0GB and you can see the number growing until it stops at the right size...

I do not mind that kind of reindexing. I mean that app starts, the folder shows 0 in size, and starts scanning all the files again. The history even says "new file added".

Mine does that all the time, I have 15 folders and 5 or 6 of them do a full reindex everytime they are started... The other folders show X GB, those 5 or 6 show 0GB and you can see the number growing until it stops at the right size...

It's likely then that the initial indexing of the folder never completed after you originally added the folder.

i.e. if you add a folder, then shut down Sync before the initial index has completed, the next time you run Sync, it will perform an initial index on the folder again, as it's never been able to complete a full index.

Ensuring that Sync is allowed to fully index a new folder before shutting down Sync, should mean that on next run, only a re-index rather than an full initial index will be required.

It's likely then that the initial indexing of the folder never completed after you originally added the folder.

i.e. if you add a folder, then shut down Sync before the initial index has completed, the next time you run Sync, it will perform an initial index on the folder again, as it's never been able to complete a full index.

Ensuring that Sync is allowed to fully index a new folder before shutting down Sync, should mean that on next run, only a re-index rather than an full initial index will be required.

Nope, this has been happening for months.

It is possible that the first sync never happened as you mention (can't remember) but by now it should be aware no more full indexing is needed and still, if I close the app and I open it again, it starts a full index again.

Dear community,

Sync 1.4.110 is now available on download site. Here is direct link. It is available via auto-update since 2015 Feb 18!

Change log

- Fixed issue with Sync hanging due to invalid filename characters

- Fixed issue with Sync preventing HDD from sleeping on NAS*

- Fixed some incorrect localization text

- Fixed issue with confusing old and new filenames in history when renaming

- Added new advanced parameter for Linux - config_save_interval

- Minor fixes and changes

- Remove asterisks in return values of “get_prefs” API call

- Fixed sporadic Out-Of-Sync issues**

* To allow NAS sleeping when Sync is running set folder_rescan_interval, config_refresh_interval and config_save_interval to some significant value, for example - 3600 (seconds). Also fully disable logging by creating "debug.txt" file in storage folder containing "0000" (four zero symbols).

** The "Out-of-Sync" issue has a number of root causes and we know that not all of them are addressed at the moment. Link to the topic dedicated to fixing the issue is below.

Full change log history can be found here.

Important Notes on Sync 1.4

Downgrade to 1.3 is not possible after installing Sync 1.4.

(If you wish to downgrade - please uninstall Sync removing all settings, then install 1.3 and configure all folders from scratch)

Important Notes for Sync 1.3 Users

Windows XP and Server 2003 clients using Sync 1.3.x will not receive auto-updates to 1.4, but can still update to 1.4 manually.

Known issues

- UI is tiny on high resolution displays [Workaround]

- Sync may continually re-index SMB shares [Discussion]

- Checkboxes once selected may move out of alignment on OSX Yosemite [Discussion]

- Certain models of Android mobile devices cause deleted files to return with 0-size

- Sometimes Sync gets stuck with out-of-sync state [Discussion]

Hi,

where is the link to 1.4.111, please?

Greetings,

merlinuwe

Try the Direct Link