Some Maths: How Many Peers To Reach Pro Cloud Like Speed.

Mas73

Hello,

I am (trying to) build a decentralised cloud file sharing system for some of our projects. It would work like that: I give RO keys to members, RW keys to workmates, E-RO keys to generous supporters. In theory, they all become part of a big "swarm" and files are being distributed among all peers. Then, assuming as initial postulat that all computers are on ADSL 2gig broadband (coper line), how many peers do we need to get something that provides a speed equivalent to professional cloud servers like Amazon, Google, Dropbox etc. In other words, say one of the peer is on full speed fibre, how big the swarm must be for that lucky peer to be receiving at full download speed provided by his fiber connection?

That's for maths geeks,

Thanks,

Mas73.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OK, so I'll try it.

Standard ADSL is around 1Mbit/s Upload and 7Mbit/s Download. To keep things simple we won't consider it's impossible to use full upload bandwidth, so it would take 7 nodes on the swarm for a new comer downloading in ADSL to download at full speed, more or less.

Download speed with high speed broadband on fiber is 83Mbit/s, about 12 times faster than standard broadband, so now we need (7 nodes x 12)=84 nodes. Modern fiber gives 1Gbit/s download, so that's 144 times faster than standard ADSL so we would need 1008 nodes connected in ADSL to serve one peer connected in fiber at full download speed. Yes, no, maybe?

Hi, thanks for that, I've edited my previous post so as to keep this thread readable. It's about transfering through the internet not LAN, so do you think the numbers are about right: 7 nodes for ADSL download, 84 for standard fibre, 1008 for max speed fibre.

@GreatMarko, am I remembering correctly that there's a limit on the number of peers with Sync (I seem to remember 50)?

For Sync 1.4 and earlier, essentially yes, there is a 50 peer limit per secret/key.

However, whilst the feature set of Sync 2.0 Free vs Sync 2.0 Pro hasn't yet been published, it's likely that the forthcoming "Pro" edition will allow for a greater number of peers than the free edition.