How To Install 2.0 On Readynas?

nsne

My ReadyNAS is a key device in my whole BT Sync chain. Unfortunately, all attempts to upgrade (even from 1.x -> 1.x releases) have failed for me. "Failed to initialize" is the error I get.

Is there any easy way to install 2.0 on my ReadyNAS? If so, what's the step-by-step process?

I'm running an RN314 (x86, ReadyNAS OS 6).

• 2 weeks later...

The problem isn't with my reading comprehension, it's with my knowledge of the install/uninstall process. Because the 2.0 versions only come as .bin executables, I'm not sure how to install them on the ReadyNAS, which uses .deb files for the install process. I thought that by swapping out the 1.4 .bin file for the 2.0, I was uninstalling and installing completely.

• 2 weeks later...

You can us

dpkg-deb -R <.deb file> <destination>

to unpack it and then you can put the new binaries in there and build it again by using

dpkg-deb -b <folder> <new .deb file>

Give that a try.

Although I did see some weird things in the .deb file like files that get 777 access and stuff.. you might just want to look through everything and fix it properly.

Super-Poussin is indeed as super as his handle suggests. He's created an updated Debian installer that works beautifully. It's available via the Dropbox link above.

If any members of the BTSync team are reading this, it's hard to feel inclined to pony up the $30/yr for Pro when my preferred platform — ostensibly supported — is ignored, and the solution took a skilled coder precisely two minutes. Super-Poussin also said that he shared his sources with the BTSync team, so I'm not sure why ReadyNAS has been hung out to dry now that stable builds are being released.

For anyone with the same question as mine, a generous and tech-savvy ReadyNAS user has created a Debian installer for BT Sync 2.0. You can download it via Dropbox.

Thanks for pointing out the Dropbox version. Also thanks to Super-Poussin for doing the work.

I installed this on my ReadyNas 102, launched it, but the web GUI isn't coming up for me. I'm new to ReadyNas so I would like request some insight from you experienced users on what's the best troubleshooting workflow for this sort of thing.

Thanks!

UPDATE: I finally managed to get the GUI up and the Sync running. This process should have been smoother than it was. I don't really know for sure if it my toggling the application On & Off several times that brought it to life or if it was something else that I am not aware of that made it work.

Did anyone else go through a bumpy kind of a start?

YET ANOTHER UPDATE: Several hours later I logged into the admin to have a look and the web GUI page is a white screen only. :-(

I checked this in 3 different browsers on my Mac - Chrome, Safari & FireFox. Viewing the source of the page shows lots of code but the display of the page is blank.

Sometimes you have to clear your browser cache. This was an issue with the BTSync GUI in 1.x too.

A different problem I've observed is that the l/p seem to be reverting back to the default after a restart, even though new login credentials have been entered and saved. Will have to give it a bit more testing.

I don't know what's behind JoeJoomla's Java errors, or if his and my issues are related, but I have confirmed that I'm seeing a reversion to default l/p and device name after every restart of the NAS.

This could be because the user-supplied BTSync add-on is still at version 2.0.52, whereas the current stable release with additional updates and bug fixes is at 2.0.85. And the BTSync team still shows no apparent sign ("Coming Soon") of releasing a promised build for the ReadyNAS platform — although the one aspect of their software that is most certainly working is the one counting down the number of days left until I have to pay up.

Yeah, I think the third-party-compile route for BTSync 2.0 has run its course. I have the unofficial 2.0.52 version working on my ReadyNAS, but it's deeply flawed (see my posts above).

Which means we're stuck waiting for the BTSync team to release the stable 2.0 for ReadyNAS. But they can't even appear to get the auto-update mechanism working on desktop OS versions — even though, as I mentioned, they made sure the "Upgrade to Pro" countdown is working just fine.

I put in a support ticket regarding the latest 'official' version of BTS which does not work for me. They suggested downloading the latest archive for Linux-arm, unpack it and launch from the terminal, then try and open the web GUI and see if that works.

Can anyone point me to a step by step process on how to do this with the ReadyNas? I have a terminal application on my Mac but I am not knowledgeable about how to use the terminal or command line on my own. I've used the terminal before but only with guidance from command line experts.

Thanks!

You need to enable SSH access on ReadyNAS (System->Settings->Services), and then use any SSH client. I use PuTTy on myPC, but you can use any SSH client available for Mac.

1. connect

2. navigate to the folder where you copied BTSync, using command: cd <path> (example: cd /data/truesyncinstall )

3. unpack package using command: tar -zxvf BitTorrent-Sync_arm.tar.gz

4. run .executable file from list of unpacked files (I don't know exact filename, you can show files using command: ls )

Sorry, it's not a detailed, but indicative guide, as I'm not a power Linux user...

They suggested downloading the latest archive for Linux-arm, unpack it and launch from the terminal, then try and open the web GUI and see if that works.

What model ReadyNAS are you running? The ARM instruction set is only for the ARM architecture, which I think is only for the RN1xx models. If you've got a model other than that, it should, I think, be the X86 version.

EDIT: Okay, in addition to the ARM version, there's an i386 version, an X64, plus one each for glib(?). So I am clueless as to which one should apply to non-ARM models.

They suggested downloading the latest archive for Linux-arm, unpack it and launch from the terminal, then try and open the web GUI and see if that works.

And the other thing is, if it's as easy as grabbing an existing Linux version and chucking it into a Debian installer, why in god's name can't the BTSync team do it themselves and make it available for download to save individual users the hassle of terminal commands?

Edited by nsne

My ReadyNas is the 102 ARM based.

I am going to give this a go over the weekend. I'll let you know how I fare. My effort will be a good example of a command line newbie attempt so if it's successful then it should be fairly easy to do a step by step instructional post. I'll keep good notes on what I am doing.

And the other thing is, if it's as easy as grabbing an existing Linux version and chucking it into a Debian installer, why in god's name can't the BTSync team do it themselves and make it available for download to save individual users the hassle of terminal commands?

This is a really good point and it would seem to me that perhaps they don't think the ReadyNas is an important enough part of the market to accommodate. I guess we just have to look after ourselves here.

• 5 weeks later...

Long overdue update from me. I never did do the terminal install of BTS but I did get version 2.0.93 from this page:

http://apps.readynas.com/pages/?page_id=9

I'm having mixed results. It did install, it did start working, but my ReadyNAS102 has been having issues that may or may not be related to BTS. It currently not working again and I am simply going to try a reinstall which I have done two times now and each time it got things going again.

BTS & ReadyNAS is not what I hoped it would be.