Syncing Across Windows 7 User Accounts

tavyabe

Hi

Re Bitsync

I have 3 PCs (1, 2, 3) in the house and 2 users (A and B). Each PC is running windows 7 pro and has a user account for A and a user account for B.

I want to sync all of A's docs and all of B's docs across all 3 PCs. How do I set this up so that the folders will all sync regardless of who is logged in on each PC - for example if A is logged in on PC1 and B is logged in on PC2 I want both A and B's folders to sync but I would also want it to work if A was on PC1 and A was on PC2 or any other variation. 

I hope that makes sense and someone can help...

How do I set this up so that the folders will all sync regardless of who is logged in on each PC

If short, practically you can't, primarily because:

1) Sync doesn't run as a native Windows service - meaning that it only runs when an account is actually logged on

2) Sync's settings/databases etc are user-account-specific on Windows. That means that if you're logged into Windows with account A, add some folders to Sync, logoff and login as account B, those folder's you added to Sync from account A, won't be present when running Sync under account B.

3) Unless every Windows user account has full administrative rights, you won't be able to access another user's "documents" folder

4) You can't add the same physical folder to multiple instances of Sync running under different user accounts on the same device (if you do, Sync will prompt you to reset ownership on the folder, which will then make it accessible to that instance of Sync, whilst breaking other instances of Sync running under different user accounts)

Thanks.

What would happen if I log in on PC1 as A and set up folders FA and FB and copy the keys. Then log in on PC1 as B and put both the keys in and then put the same 2 keys in on all other pcs when logged in as A and as B. The only way I then see this being a problem is if I am logged in on PC1 as both A and B at the same time (switching users) - how will bitsync deal with that?

Thanks

What would happen if I log in on PC1 as A and set up folders FA and FB and copy the keys. Then log in on PC1 as B and put both the keys in...

Please see Point 4 above - Sync will detect that the folders are already "owned" by another instance of Sync and ask if you wish to reset ownership. Bottom line - a folder cannot belong to two difference instances of Sync at the same time.

You need a small server to take care of this ...

Thanks - do you mean to host the folders on the server rather than locally? 

I am happy to use one of the PCs as a server but the problem is that my laptop leaves the house with me and does not always have internet access. I need all my files when on the laptop and then for them to update the others when plugged into the home network again...

Thanks

yes the server would host the folders ... you will need a copy of the folder on each account on your PC's  ... make all read and write ... server must be on 24/7 or when someone would be on any PC.    When you get home power up your laptop and it will sync with the server ...

TIP:  turn off lan_encrypt_data