Sync Doesn't Have Permission To Write On Sdcard (Lollipop)

Tarcisio Alves

Hello guys, I'm trying to sync a folder from pc to my phone (sd card) , but when I choose a folder it pops up that I don't have permission to write on the sdcard (I just can sync in the standard folder .../data/com.bittorrent.sync/files, however I can't see the images in my gallery when I sync with the standard folder)

Do you guys know how to write in a different folder and how to see the pictures in the standard folder in my gallery?

Thanks

Hi everyone! 

I just discovered the same problem yesterday with a Samsung Galaxy S 5 (SM-G900F) with Android 5.0 Lollipop (G900FXXU1BNL9).
I was getting that new phone + a 128GB SanDisk Ultra SD Card, hoping that on Android 5 the handling of the external SD Card would work like in pre 4.4 Android versions.

If I wanna sync an existing folder with read/write from my PC to the phone, by scanning the QR-Code and chose /mnt/extSdCard/[syncfolder] it tells me I don't have permissions to write to this folder.

Is there any solution to this problem? Is there some setting I'm missing?

BT Sync is awesome! If it would just also work properly with external SD Cards on Android...

Thanks in advance for any kind of feedback!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Tarcisio,

If Android allows it - yes,. If it doesn't allow it - no. before adding the folder. Sync checks if it has write permissions there. 

Helen, the issue is that Sync is not updated with the new Lollipop APIs that allow writing to sd card. In 5.0, a new intent was added that would allow a user to give any app write access to any folder on shared storage (i.e. sd card). More information and documentation can be found here: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/android-platform/PkLYIERoJvo and here: http://developer.android.com/reference/android/support/v4/provider/DocumentFile.html

I'm sure the developers are already aware of these new APIs, but we'd like a higher priority placed on implementing them so we can better manage our storage on our devices with Android 5+. Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Why is there no response to this? In 4.4.4 I was able to sync music to /sdcard1/Music but now in 5.0+ I can only choose /sdcard1/Android/data/com.bittorrent.sync/files/Music. That would be OK, but Android automatically puts a .nomedia file in Android/data meaning the Music doesn't show up in my library. Deleting the .nomedia file is pointless, as Android recreates the file on its own. Basically Sync is broken for me currently. 

I'm going for a +1 on this issue. I only just discovered Sync through an article about synchronizing music between my Mac and Android devices.

Great! But, apparently as many others, my music folder is on the root of my SD card. Syncing to  the suggested folder is indeed useless.

I think that the app developers are still behind on newest developments in Lollipop, since SD write access has been restored in stock Android.

I'm unrooted and intend to remain unrooted. Therefore I have no solution.

I was even thinking about forking up some $$$ in order to go 'Pro'. Luckily, I decided to run some tests before purchasing.

I am uninstalling Sync for now, but hopefully there will be a reply on the subject in this topic so that I get notified of updates.

Be sure, developers are aware of this API, they are not behind it all. 

This API works via file descriptors and through them it gives write access. Sync's core code works with files directly, the API doesn't allow it. That's why Sync is now allowed to write to SD card. 

Are developers working on restoring the ability to sync to an external SD card on Android 5 Lollipop?

I wanted to upgrade to the Pro version of Sync 2.0, but why pay for a new version that has less of my desired features than my still existing combination of Sync 1.4 + Android 4.3 JellyBean (respectively a rooted Android 4.4 KitKat with an SDfix)?

I'd like to know if this problem is being worked on, otherwise I guess I'm forced to check out other software or root my phones (which I don't really wanna do as long as they are still in warranty).

I'd prefer to continue using BT Sync though, as it's a perfect solution for my needs aside from the SD card problem, even if it means paying for the Pro version.

It would be very kind of you to give us some updates on that issue and maybe write some more info about it in the FAQ. Not just as a small paragraph in the end of the [How to Back up data (Android only)] article [http://help.getsync.com/customer/portal/articles/1901279-how-to-back-up-data-android-only-?b_id=3895], but also if there are plans to restore that feature or what workarounds exists (rooting) for people who really want it.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
MoultoMan,

if your device is rooted, you may give access to all apps on your device. Please note that the following instruction is not official, so please do it only in case you realise the risks and take responsibility for the outcome.

1. Go to /system/etc/permissions. 

2. Open platform.xml and find “WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE“ 

3. Add permission <group gid=”media_rw” />. 

4. Save changes and reboot device.

Thanks Helen,

I've tried that three times, but restarting my phone has caused the file to remove the line I'd added. I've double checked that the file does indeed save before restarting my phone too.

Is there another file/setting that you know of that I could modify to make the change persist? This is exactly the thing I've been looking for a while now so I'd love to be able to get it working.

EDIT:

I should probably mention I am running Lollipop, not Kitkat, which all the info I've found on this has been about.

Edited by MoultoMan

MoultoMan,

perhaps that file not saving changes after reboot comes from the custom's ROM? Or platform.xml files lacking permissions. In an adb shell set permission: command  chmod 0644 /system/etc/permissions/platform.xml

But please note this is just an advice and please do this is you are fully aware of the outcome and can take responsibility for that. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Sony Xperia Z2 with android 5.1.1 running Sync version 2.1.0 (327)

Since upgrading from android 5.1 Sync has not been able to wire to the allowed folder on external SD card!?

/storage/sdcard1/Android/data/com.bittorrent.sync/files

When trying to enable a folder to sync, I get the error saying:

"Don't have permission to write to selected folder. On external SD card it is allowed to write to app designated directory only."

If i press the button saying:

"Go to allowed dir"

it goes to that folder, but still wont let me write to that folder.

And it won't let me write to anywhere on the external SD card.

I can only write to the internal storage folder on the phone.

I hope there is a fix on the way or maybe someone else has a workaround.

/Stephen

Be sure, developers are aware of this API, they are not behind it all. 

This API works via file descriptors and through them it gives write access. Sync's core code works with files directly, the API doesn't allow it. That's why Sync is now allowed to write to SD card. 

Since the API has allowed ES File Explorer to work without any problems, I don't see why it would prevent Sync from working. I can understand it is not easy to implement, but not impossible.

I have just upgraded to version 2.1.0 (327) for Android and still can't write outside /android/data/com.bittorrent.sync on the SD card.

This is really disappointing/annoying especially when you can't configure folders in third party apps such as the HTC Gallery, among many others.

Are you planning to fix this anytime soon ? If so do you know when ? It would be great if you could act before the next release of Android...

Edited by ouekah

Then Sync is not installed on SD card, right? 

Can you please check write permission to sd card in general and to Sync's sandbox in particular - you can do it either via Terminal app for Android, or by connecting it to a desktop.

Unfortunately we cannot reproduce it on either of our devices,  so can you please tell us if there is anything special about Sync installation/shared folder/your sd card? What file systems is it? 

Did it work on older versions of Sync? 

• 4 weeks later...