Change Identity

drego85

Is there another way to do it? Without losing anything!

Unfortunately, once set, it cannot be changed, short of re-installing Sync. The reason being is that the name you choose forms part of the security "finger print" of the device.

The developers have commented, however, that they may provide a way to change the name/identity in the future, as a number of users have expressed a desire to be able to change their identity once set.

Unfortunately, once set, it cannot be changed, short of re-installing Sync. The reason being is that the name you choose forms part of the security "finger print" of the device.

The developers have commented, however, that they may provide a way to change the name/identity in the future, as a number of users have expressed a desire to be able to change their identity once set.

Ok ;) Thank You!

• 4 months later...

Newbie Q: Can someone please define "re-installing Sync?" I just moved BT Sync Pro to a new computer, following the instructions to do so. Although I have a Pro license, at present, before I tackle moving everything else out of Dropbox, I only have 10 synced folders. Is simple disconnection enough to reinstall in a manner that will allow renaming? I guess I am back to my Q. Please define "re-installing sync." Thank you for your kind assistance.

• 1 month later...

Resetting or changing identity is simple but currently you need to do it outside the Bittorrent Sync client.

• Stop the client
  • Delete the folder %APPDATA%\BitTorrent Sync or rename it (i.e %APPDATA%\BitTorrent Sync_IdentityXXX) if you want get it back later
  • Start the client

Sync will create a new folder and it all begins as it was the first time you start the application. When you want to use a new identity or restore the old one, just stop the client, delete or rename back the app folder - saving also the current one with another name if you care - restart the client, and voilà.

This operations don't affect files inside your local folders and you can share them again using your preferred identity.

Please note: in this way you can override the 30 days PRO trial limit so please act fairly.

Edited by Neurone