How To Change Folders To Disconnected Initially? And Other Problems.

guido666

Some weird things going on, plus some settings missing that were in the Alpha.

1.  When I installed Sync on my second device, I set it to make new folders Disconnected by default.  I added a new folders on the first device yesterday, and they added as Disconnected as expected.  Today I added a new folder on the first device, and it added as Available on the second device!  WTF?  And, where is the setting to change it [back]?

2.  One of my Sync'd folders deleted itself from Sync today.  No idea why.  I was on the second device, and got an unsolicited notification saying something like "Deleting this folder will remove it from all devices, and it will no longer sync files."  I did nothing to prompt this, but I had little choice but to click ok.

3.  Why does Sync Beta not start with Windows anymore?  Is there a setting for this again?

4.  How do I change the path that a folder is sync'd to?  I was pretty sure I could do this in the Alpha, but can't find any button for it in the Beta.  Why?  Because I need to fix the problem from bullet #1.

So far, the Beta seems to be a more troublesome experience than the Alpha... go figure.

Edited by guido666

Moved this topic to the relevant thread

guido666,

Any specific details about platforms and versions of Sync?

1) the mode name was changed from "Available" (in Alpha) to "Disconnected" (in Beta) on the contrary. Where exactly you see "Available" on Beta? These modes can be seen in Device's list - is it there?

2) Wasn't there button "Cancel"? or X button in the corner of this dialog? 

I cannot think of possible reasons why disconnection can be triggered without actually clicking "Disconnect" option. Do you remember the steps that led to it? Or try to notice it if it happens again.

3) There is "Start Sync on startup" option in Sync preferences. Is it enabled? If yes, check if Sync's shortcut is placed in Startup folder (you may open it by Run-> shell:startup) or check HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\ key in Registry editor.

4) Sync never had ability to change the path. You need to do it manually in your file system. Sync will recognize it, as long as you move the folder within one letter drive.

Newest version of Sync Beta (.52?) on Windows.

1.  I'm calling it that, while looking at the icon, but what I'm calling it isn't as relevant as my actual question, which is "Where do I change the default?"  Sync asked me during initial start what I wanted as the default, and I'm pretty sure I set it to "Disconnected".  Regardless of what I set it to by name, it was correct, and new folders were added in the "dashed line folder icon" state (whatever you want to call that, and I was calling "Disconnected").  However, Sync has taken the liberty, with no intervention from me, of setting these to the "white folder" state ("Available"?), where it makes a zillion placeholder files, and that is WRONG!  Where do I change the default, and how do I change that white folder back to the "dashed line folder icon" without "disconnecting" it from other computers?

2.  Me either.  If I had done it, I wouldn't have bothered to post it here.  With ZERO intervention from me, after restarting one of the computers with Sync (not the host one with the crown on the folder), one of my folders disappeared.  Nobody else has access to these computers, and I did nothing other than reboot one of the clients.

3.  Got it.  Thanks.

4.  While you're way might seem easier, it's a bit counterintuitive, at least for me, and possibly other users too.  It's also poor performance-wise with large folders.  The ability to change the path SHOULD be an option you should consider adding.

guido666,

1. we know about this issue. Just to clarify -  "white folder" state is 'Connected state" (folder is connected and placeholders are created), 'dashed folder' is "Disconnected mode" with tooltip "Available" Unfortunately, there is no workaround for it in this Beta build. Option to disconnect the folder only from local devices is added later in newer build, not yet released for public. The fix itself will come out later. Sorry for the problem caused.

To answer your question: go to 'My devices" click on your device (local device) and change the mode. 

2. Keep debug logging enabled on your machines, if it happens again. please try to note what steps might have lead to it, and please send debug logs from all peers. tell us what exactly folder was removed. 

3. Thank you, we will consider adding this feature in Sync. 

The ability to change the path of a share is important, not just a convenience.  Please consider it strongly.

1.  It's imperative to be able to change it, because Sync adds folders automatically (that were shared from other linked devices).  If it adds them automatically, I was never given the chance to interdict where the folder was stored.  (Yes, I could workaround by temporarily setting the default somewhere, then sharing the folder on the remote machine, but why?).  So this is needed to undo Sync's work.

2.  The only other way to change the path is to delete the share and recreate.  If the user makes a mistake, they need the ability to just change the path, instead of having to delete the share and set it back up on multiple machines (which involves time-consuming remote desktopping or physically moving from machine to machine, is far easier to spend 10 seconds changing the path on the machine you're sitting at).

I've already run into both of these, and I'm sure there are more reasons.  What a pain that was, to have to set it back up on all the machines again.

guido666,

1. this is going to be fixed. 

2. there is no need to delete the share and add it again. You may just move the folder to another location on your machine (in a file manager) and Sync will recognize it and change the path automatically, so the folder will remain connected and synced with other peers.

If you are using a Windows machine, the folder shall be moved within one drive. 

I just meant that there is no function to move the folder from inside Sync, but you can always do it in a file manager. 

Your statement #2 isn't so clear cut.

1.  I was coming to the new Sync from 1.4, so I was resyncing folders that were already synced.  For anyone in this situation, it's a confusing task and you may sync to the wrong folder, as I did.  Sync gives me no way to remedy this easily.

2.  As you say, if I want to move it more than one drive over, Sync gives me know way to remedy it.

3.  Some of my folders are very large, and moving them may not be an option.

4.  In one case, I wanted to intentionally resync to another folder.

I ask that you consider it from my point of view.  I'm telling you it's a feature I need, and you're trying to convince me I don't, because either you've provided other ways I don't like or haven't forseen the problems I can get myself into.  If you just added the ability for me to change the path, it would give me the tools I need to work the way I want to, and correct (or at least not create) the problems above.