Sync Of Actively Edited Files

j2b

This issue have been discussed from different point of views, but still, it remains. Could it be a case, that BTsync is not useable in such situations?

The case:

• 4 users activey sync one folder with MS Office files, between their computers.
  • A couple of files have a profile, to be changed on frequent basis by any of these 4 users.
  • It is known, that BTSync overwrites files, according to last saved document timestamp.

Situation I: User A opens file for edit. Meanwhile, while editing, User B opens the same file on his computer, makes small editions, and saves. After User B edit, User A finishes editing, and saves changes.

Result - at best, User B's edits are lost.

Situation II: User A opens file for edit, and works for a longer period of time. While User A edits, User B opens file for longer edits too. User A finishes job, saves and closes file, User B does the same, after User A has saved the changes. Result - there's no sign of User's A edits, as User's B edits are the last.

To my understanding, BTSync is not the mean to solve such conflicts, and apparently, files have to be copied locally to other folder, for edit. Afterward, moving it back to sync folder. Although, this actually does not solve situations I and II neither. Am I correct?

Is there any ways to solve such cases with a help of btsync?

To my understanding, BTSync is not the mean to solve such conflicts, and apparently, files have to be copied locally to other folder, for edit. Afterward, moving it back to sync folder. Although, this actually does not solve situations I and II neither. Am I correct?

Is there any ways to solve such cases with a help of btsync?

It's important to remember that Sync is designed primarily to be a file synchronization tool, rather than a file collaboration tool.

Its main purpose is simply to ensure that all devices have the latest version/most recent copy of a particular file.

It's not designed to allow multiple people to work (collaborate) on the same file simultaneously and then "merge" everyone's edits together.