Usb Drive Migration (Error 134 And 137)

ade_m

Hi All,

I've a USB drive connected to an Windows laptop where I'm trying to use sync to have an offsite backup, a Read-only version.

The data is all copied, however the laptop is slow and so i wanted to replace it with a new one, more memory, better CPU etc.

I've tried to move the USB drive over, installed Bitsync and readded the first folder (approx 57Gb) however its basically sat there not showing a lot of progress. there really shouldn't of been anything to 'sync' as it was already there.

I turned on debug, and I saw errors relating to torrent files being created and deleted.  Some googling suggested (on linux systems) that it might be file permissions, so I've tried resetting file ownership (NTFS).

Thats not made any difference. I've tried moving the files out of the folder, recreating the entire folder using Bitsync, stoping bitsync, and then move the buik of the tilfes back in again so that Bitsync rechecked them at startup.

my goal here is not to have to re-transfer terrabytes of data over the Internet again.

At the moment, for 12 hours all I've seen in the logs are errors such as the below 134 errors and 137 errors.  In previous posts I've asked about these and been told they weren't an issue, but right now its all I have to go with.

I don't see any *.sync* files for temporary files, the bitsync.exe process is running as my user so should have all the file permissions (I can create/edit/delete files).

All my clients are running. 1.4.110.

Any help would be really appreciated.

[2015-03-02 10:40:15] SF[0168]: Torrent \\?\S:\Backup from ASUS\Video Working Folder\Hi8\17-Noname 082.mpg status:134 error:<NULL> meta:1 conns:0 io:3[2015-03-02 10:40:15] SF[0168]: Torrent \\?\S:\Backup from ASUS\Video Working Folder\Hi8\15 Noname 077.mpg status:134 error:<NULL> meta:1 conns:0 io:3[2015-03-02 10:40:15] Error: \\?\S:\Backup from ASUS\Video Working Folder\Hi8\13 - Noname 077.mpg - PostDownload: Access is denied. [2015-03-02 10:40:15] TorrentFile: 0x0000000010c9c980 deleted[2015-03-02 10:40:16] SF[0168]: Torrent \\?\S:\Backup from ASUS\Video Working Folder\Hi8\13 - Noname 077.mpg status:134 error:<NULL> meta:1 conns:0 io:3[2015-03-02 10:40:16] SF[0168]: Torrent \\?\S:\Backup from ASUS\Video Working Folder\Hi8\11Noname 071.mpg status:134 error:<NULL> meta:1 conns:0 io:3[2015-03-02 10:40:16] SF[0168]: Torrent \\?\S:\Backup from ASUS\Video Working Folder\Hi8\13 - Noname 076.mpg status:134 error:<NULL> meta:1 conns:0 io:5[2015-03-02 10:40:16] SF[0168]: Torrent \\?\S:\Backup from ASUS\Video Working Folder\Hi8\12 Noname 074.mpg status:134 error:<NULL> meta:1 conns:0 io:3

"134" and "137" are informational status messages - NOT "error" messages. If you look closely in your log, they show "status:134 error:<NULL>" (i.e. null = no error).

The log snippet you've supplied doesn't indicate an error. What it does show though is an "Access Denied" error. This will be the reason why the sync can't fully complete, and may be either due to the permissions on that particular file (other files in the folder seem ok), or it could be that that particular file is currently open/locked/in use by another application. In which case, closing that application/the file in that application should allow sync to complete.

Hi,

many thanks for the reply.

So I'm running as user "adrian", whos a local administrator.

Security on the 17-noname 082.mpg shows as Full Control for adrian. In fact, its Full Control for Everyone.  The folder is set that way too.

On this laptop there are no other applications running.  I downloaded Handle.exe from sysinternals, and it shows one PID using that file:

Handle v4.0
Copyright © 1997-2014 Mark Russinovich
Sysinternals - www.sysinternals.com

BTSync.exe         pid: 5220   type: File           1AC: S:\Backup from ASUS\Vid
eo Working Folder\Hi8\17-Noname 082.mpg

C:\Users\adrian\Desktop>

PID 5220 is bitsync.exe, so it seems that its bitsync itself that has the file lock.

I've tried rebooting the laptop but this continues after reboot.

in fact looking at all the files in that folder, only Bitsync has open handles to them.

As "adrian" I'm able to create/delete/edit files in the folder.

I created a new empty text file in the RW PC, which successfully got replicated in the RO laptop.
I compared the security settings of that those 2 files and they match.. so I don't believe this is permissions.

the .mpg files are quite large, 3-4Gb per file.  Could it just be taking a very long time to examine the files ?
It does seem to list the .mpg files, all quite large.

Another possible complication, is that the USB drive is Truecypt encrypted (entire disk).  However it was the same on the other laptop so I wouldn't expect that to be an issue.

Another possible complication, is that the USB drive is Truecypt encrypted (entire disk).  However it was the same on the other laptop so I wouldn't expect that to be an issue.

There are known issues syncing TrueCrypt volumes, and you may need to check/adjust your TrueCrypt settings accordingly. For example, if TrueCrypt is set not to update its mtime when its contents changes, etc Sync may have difficulty detecting changes.

If you have Sync working with TrueCrypt on another device, I'd suggest checking your TrueCrypt settings on that device, and copy those settings across to TrueCrypt on the device that isn't syncing.

Hi,

Ok I checked Truecrypt settings over and all the settings are the same on both machines.

I was wondering if I should of copied over some of Bitsyncs config files from one machine to the other ?  The drive layouts and folder layouts are the same so it wouldn't of changed.