Sync 2.0 Is Available

RomanZ

What disappoints me with the release of 2.0 is the 10 folder limit on the free version.  1.4 allows unlimited folders, I would expect the free 2.0 to do so as well - especially since we were told no features would be taken away from the free version.  Well broken promises are a bad way to try and move free product to a paid product.

Since the beginning I've evangelize Sync and have spent a long time and typing explaining why Sync is better than Dropbox, et al, and defending it against detractors (especially the open source crowd), with this decision though I am going to have reconsider my recommendation, and take more serious looks at alternatives.

The 10 folder restriction is a really poor business decision. I think this may actually cause a mass exodus.

It's better to have people using your product than that of a competitor, after all. If they do, they remain a potential upgrade. If they move to a competitor, they are much less likely to come back even if they suddenly need the Pro features. Placeholder files is a great example of a Pro feature. The artificial share restriction is just weird. There's no added value, just diminished value.

Make 2.0 free version to be on par with 1.4, or live with the consequences. Make this decision quickly, people are already stirring.

I also would really like you to reconsider the 10 folder limit. I am already syncing more than 10 folders but I'm still not using it for everything i was planning to.

A bad workaround would be to use multiple instances on my server and desktops to sync more than 10 folders, but that is not possible on mobile.

@RomanZ

I'm considering the upgrade to 2.0.  Was pleased to see 2.0 to 1.4 downgrade instructions in the help center.  That said, I don't see any place to download version 1.4 (should I choose to regress) AND I don't see any guidance on Windows Vista.

Does 2.0 work on Vista at all or is Vista done at 1.4?

Might as well throw my hat into the ring as well: The 10 folder limit seems arbitrary, and a bit of a sleazy attempt to push people to "pro".  Especially since 1.4 had unlimited folders.

I only have about 3 folders syncing, and I still think I'll probably ditch BTSync and look for another solution; this sort of marketing doesn't speak well of the company behind the software, and doesn't make me want to support it in any way.

What happened to no features being taken away? The 10 folder limit is a non-starter. I'm afraid to even try this one in the off chance that it messes up my shared folders from 1.3 / 1.4. 

Also, a yearly fee structure isn't happening with me. I'd be happy to pay a reasonable one-time price for this software. I use it all the time. But I won't go with a subscription model. Maybe do the Plex thing and offer a lifetime price?

A couple of questions. Is the folder limit just with regard to 2.0 sync folders? There seems to be a distinction within the program. And is there a way to opt out of the 30 day pro trial? I can't give this a fair shot if I can't see how it's going to behave without the pro features. 

Thank You Team BitTorrent!

I'm just chiming in that while people are complaining about the 10 folder limit, I support it, and for the wrong reason.  

I am using Sync to retire thousands of dollars of other much less efficient software, primarily SureSync.  The 10 folder limit doesn't phase me.  I only sync one or two folders with a lot of data in them.  

Even for personal use, I only sync a picture folder, music, data, 2-3 other folders to get data to a buddy, and a test folder or two, total of 9.  I can see how if I needed over 10, then I'm a power user, or a business trying to divvy up shared folders for staff without needing DirectAccess or VPN or some other form of remote access... and this links sites/users better since the data is always available locally.

Anyway, a little bit of a loose rant here.  Having to subscribe yearly is usually a turn off... time and sales volume will tell.  I think you have a great product for a fair price.  19.99/yr would be great, 69/lifetime would be useful way to support once and for all.  Looking forward to how Sync continues to evolve.

This is REALLY annoying. I am more than happy to pay for Bittorrent Sync. I knew the free ride would have to end, but why is it an annual fee? That sucks. I'm not using a service where Bittorrent is providing me cloud storage or anything. If anything, follow the Plex model and give me a lifetime option.

And in the free version, that folder limit is really annoying.

Also, let's just say I did pay, then can't we make the iOS feature complete with Dropbox? It's crazy that iOS8 has been out so long now, and the app STILL doesn't support the iOS8 document extensions yet.

Here we come, syncthing!

This is REALLY annoying. I am more than happy to pay for Bittorrent Sync. I knew the free ride would have to end, but why is it an annual fee? That sucks. I'm not using a service where Bittorrent is providing me cloud storage or anything. If anything, follow the Plex model and give me a lifetime option.

And in the free version, that folder limit is really annoying.

<...>

Here we come, syncthing!

I echo what everyone else is saying.

1. What service exactly is BitTorrent providing that justifies a $40/year subscription fee? $40? Really? To do what, run an optional tracker server?

2. "All features available in 1.4 will be in 2.0" Except for the new arbitrarily-crippled folder limit.

This has a vaguely sleazy feel to it.

On the plus side, one benefit of this business decision is to push more users to SyncThing and spur development of that already-excellent app further.

Just wanted to add my name to the list of those who feel let down.

When I saw the announcement a few hours ago I was pretty excited and was looking forward to migrating everything to Sync 2.0, and seeing what the Pro service had to offer.

I had to search online to find out what the folder limit is for the Free version, and I was hugely disappointed to find it was a meagre 10.

I already have 20 folders synced in 1.4. The thing I love about Sync is that you can sync files located anywhere on your device. So if you're syncing lots of different bits and pieces here and there, it's very easy to build up a collection of more than 10 synced folders.

This makes the Free version completely and utterly useless for me. It's an arbitrarily imposed limit that will no doubt push a large number of people away from Sync in the coming days.

Further, I simply cannot justify paying £30 a year for a service that doesn't even host my data. I would consider a one-off (or "lifetime" purchase), or a significantly reduced yearly subscription. For casual, non-business use this is too expensive.

1.4 has had some issues which I expect have been addressed in 2.0, so I was looking forward to making the upgrade and getting settled with the new version, but seeing how BitTorrent has played their hand I feel disappointed, and I don't think Sync is a viable option for the long term.

I too agree with what everyone has said.

A lot of us have devoted countless weeks or months to helping you all develop this app to where it is today. Myself, I have spent so long developing an IT server that runs directly on BTSync. I have about 15 people on this server that consists of close friends and family members (Most of which are seniors). I have developed programs for reading scripts that sync over BT, instant messaging programs, computer maintenance services, ext... I'm also a fulltime computer science student that lives off student loans and makes NO money off this server. I've spent countless hours learning the API, providing feed back, ext.. This 10 folder limit is total BS and will ruin everything I have spent so long working on.

Many other people on here have also provided valuable feedback, testing, insight, and many other development assistance to this team, all of which was for free. Now you take everything that we have provided for you, then turned it around on us by making us pay, minus a 25% off deal. Seriously? Perhaps it is us that should be charging you for all the work and insight we all put in. 

This is the definition of betrayal and broken promises. I do not plan to upgrade anyone on my servers to 2.0. I'll be sticking with what we have now. If you ever take 1.4 offline, you will be robbing me and many others of many months of work.

I don't mind paying a one time fee for myself to host my people and for some added benifits, but I will not be paying $40 annually to contiune doing what I'm doing now. You're not even storing our data on a Server (Cloud). It's just not justified, esspecially to the development team who has helped you guys get this app to where it is today. I seriously hope you guys reconsider. A 25% discount is absolutly not justified either. Without us, you would not be where you are today.

When I download the Linux version I still get 1.4.110... anyone have a link?

Enjoy!

http://syncapp.bittorrent.com/1.4.110/

Oh, I misread your question. I think this is the most recent 1.4 version.  (Some people report auto update bringing in 1.4.111. I haven't found a direct link to that one, but if that autoupdate is still going out then someone could probably get the installer by allowing the updater to run and then locating it in the temp folder of whichever OS)

No sure what the issue is here with folder limits?

If you had more than 10 folders on 1.4, then 2.0 will honour that - you just can't add anymore unless you upgrade (this was my understanding from reading);

"The total number of folders which can be kept synced via FREE version at a time is limited to 10. If you have already added 10 folders, and want to add one more, you will have to delete at least 1 folder from the previously added ones or upgrade to PRO."

source: http://help.getsync.com/customer/portal/articles/1901266-sync-free-vs-sync-pro

Personally, I have been waiting for a way to pay for the service I rely upon so heavily.  And, in the current tech world, where services disappear overnight, I would have thought others would also want to ensure that their service providers are supported, thus ensuring continued improvement.