Sync 2.0 Is Available

RomanZ

Speaking for myself, I have around 30 separate folders. I've installed version 2 on one of my machines to see how it would behave with them, but because there's a non-option 30 free trial of pro, so I still have no idea if it will honour my previous folders or not. And even if it does, I can't create new ones without removing most of what I currently have.

The issue is this: some months ago when 2.0 was announced they (Bittorrent, Inc.) made a promise that features would not be removed. Changing unlimited folders to a maximum of 10 is a huge change in functionality. 

I also would like to pay for btsync. But this isn't the way.

No sure what the issue is here with folder limits?

If you had more than 10 folders on 1.4, then 2.0 will honour that - you just can't add anymore unless you upgrade (this was my understanding from reading);

Speaking for myself, I have around 30 separate folders. I've installed version 2 on one of my machines to see how it would behave with them, but because there's a non-option 30 free trial of pro, so I still have no idea if it will honour my previous folders or not. And even if it does, I can't create new ones without removing most of what I currently have.

Exactlly. Not to mention the current bugs that still occur like the Out Of Sync error, or small changes to files that don't sync, or updated files getting replaced by the older files. I find that I frequently have to disconnect a folder, delete the .sync folder, and then reconnect the folder in order for it to start sycing again, or to start syncing properly. I have to repeat these steps across multiple computers. So I would have to pay in order to reconnect a folder to correct an error. Thanks but no thanks.

No sure what the issue is here with folder limits?

If you had more than 10 folders on 1.4, then 2.0 will honour that - you just can't add anymore unless you upgrade (this was my understanding from reading);

If you read the above posts again, you will see exactly what our issues are.

And again $40 is pretty steep just to sync a few folders. I'm a full-time University student. $40 to me is two weeks of food, or a full tank of gas, or 2/3's my entire internet bill. $40 Just to be able to sync more than 10 folders with data I store on my own servers is ludicrous. If this was a cloud service where they store our data on their servers than I can see this price justified. I don't even really care about the other added features. I just care about what was promised to us and the work that I've already put into my projects.

Hello everyone...I posted this on another thread, but wanted to ensure everyone understood how the 10 folder limit worked...

We’ve committed to developing a free version of Sync alongside Pro, and will continue to do so. With Sync 2.0’s free version, there are no limits on folder capacity, nor will there be any performance throttling. 10 active folders is a lot of syncing activity and we feel that those who need more capabilities will benefit much from Sync Pro.

10 folders can be added to Sync and there can be any number of folders enclosed inside that high-level folder, which will all synchronize to devices connected to the folder.

We feel that the free version of Sync is a great product that will satisfy the needs of a lot of users. With the functionality/usability enhancements and core engine improvements for 2.0, it is much improved over Sync 1.4. 

We feel that the free version of Sync is a great product that will satisfy the needs of a lot of users. With the functionality/usability enhancements and core engine improvements for 2.0, it is much improved over Sync 1.4. 

I think you have been quite kind with the restrictions. Some people wants everything for free.

My only concern is, 1.4 is still not working properly, why should we paid for a product that is still not working?

Hmmm, not sure I agree that unlimited folders is a feature - functionality, yes, but not a feature.

Weren't versions upto 1.4 always beta - v2 being the first non-beta version?  Most software companies do introduce some sort of fee for first major releases - and thats what this fee appears to be for; to pay for the work already done, and to ensure future work is covered.

I can see why some people would be upset, but then lots of people expect the world for nothing.  And $40pa ($3.33pm) isn't really a lot to pay for the features and functionality BTSync provides.

Maybe a monthly pay option would be an idea?

I think you have been quite kind with the restrictions. Some people wants everything for free.

Ya just like the BT Team. They wanted all of us to help test and develop for them for free, then turn around and start charging us all for the free work we gave to them.

It would be really nice if all of you actually took the time to read people's posts before spewing opinions and brushing people's concerns away like they were nothing. We said that we would pay, just not this amount, not like this. This goes to you too epounds. Copying and pasting a generic reply from a previous post does nothing for me and it really shows your level of commitment and respect to your community that's helped you out since the start.

Most of us have indicated that we would pay for a product and just don't like the subscription model. And it's not kindness to say one thing and do another. 

My only concern is, 1.4 is still not working properly, why should we paid for a product that is still not working?

With all do respect guys, when you said "we’re improving the free edition over what’s available in version 1.4," you lied.  And when you said "now EULA allows business use explicitly" for 1.4, you thought that making that a pro-only feature would be an "improvement" too.  It would have been fine if you were up front about it, but you decided to go back on your word.  I would never do business with a company this deceitful.  I'll find other options to sync my files.  You had a good thing going for a while, but I'm done.

10 active folders is a lot of syncing activity and we feel that those who need more capabilities will benefit much from Sync Pro.

It's not unreasonable to be syncing more than that in a simple, home use, non-professional setting. For instance, I use it to keep game saves/settings/profiles in-sync/backed up. With some games needing multiple different folders synced, its easy to exceed 10 syncs on this alone.  Adding backup syncs for documents/videos/music/pictures folders for a few different users and you're well over 10. In this scenario, the benefits of a Pro subscription aren't needed, apart from this seemingly arbitary sync-folder limit.

Also, staying with 1.4.110 isn't an option, due to a bug (fixed in 2.0), that would often truncate files to 0 bytes.

Where do you live that developers and testers do not need to make a living?

I echo what everyone else is saying.

1. What service exactly is BitTorrent providing that justifies a $40/year subscription fee? $40? Really? To do what, run an optional tracker server?

2. "All features available in 1.4 will be in 2.0" Except for the new arbitrarily-crippled folder limit.

This has a vaguely sleazy feel to it.

On the plus side, one benefit of this business decision is to push more users to SyncThing and spur development of that already-excellent app further.

When Logmein Hamachi service got cut down to limited free users, they did it with little to no notice, which pissed off a ton of users.  Logmein did it because the alternatives out there are a lot more effort.  It might cost more, but for anyone who values their time, the cost difference should be negligible, at least in Logmein (and not Bit Torrent's) eyes.  I've tried moving away from Hamachi, but couldn't replace the functionality I depended on with addition labour.  So I've renewed twice now on multiple subscriptions.  Free users did not make them money before, and they reduced their overhead by shedding tons of free users while converting many free users who actually needed the functionality to paying customers.  This is what businesses like doing!

Users who use the free service only convert to paying in like 2-5% of the cases.  All this bitching is for nothing. The decision is made.  People who can afford to pay don't hesitate to pay.  People who REALLY need more than 10 folders, REALLY should pay as they are getting a lot more return from the service than someone syncing 1-2 folders. The more folders you are syncing, the more time you are freeing up from manual labour.

Personally, I'm at 9 (two of which I'm not really using) folders sync'd with 4 TB of data.  How many important folders does Windows think you should have? Docs, music, games, videos, downloads, photos... half dozen or so.  This covers the majority of people. Another chunk of users will use something like 10 important folders.  But an even lower percentage of people will have 10 critical folders needing sync. This is a much smaller percentage of people. So from Bit Torrent's point of view, they are covering nearly everyone who has typical home usage, and people who have higher work loads, well, pay something in return for all the syncing that goes on.

Having gone through the Hamachi thing, I'm somewhat prepared by this these days. You can't make a really useful program and not capitalize on it. Talented developers need to make a living and there needs to be an incentive for ongoing development to make it enticing to continue to use it.  What I can applaud Bit Torrent for, is that there is a version 1.4.x that can work indefinitely (at least directly connected without tracker use), rather than the service suddenly stop working and leaving people in the lurch to scramble to alternatives or pay.

What I think Bit Torrent should have done, is offer a 50% off deal for existing users at least for the first year.  I got a deal from Logmein Hamachi ($19 instead of $29 a year) and they are keeping that for annual renewal, so I've gone from hating them to appreciating the service it provides and determining it isn't worth the effort to move services across 50-60 clients to a cheaper service to save $60-$80 a year.  The alternatives are just not even close.

Offering the introductory price of $20 would have cut down on a lot of this bitching and getting that "what about loyal users" love.  It would make the medicine easier to swallow and keep the users hooked on the bt sync heroin.  I think its too late to change the folder policy, but it isn't too late to offer a promotional upgrade price, especially through 1.4 auto update mechanism.

Hello everyone,

i'd like to say that i don"t really understand what you people are saying.

Before 2.0, i could have read lots of people that said "ok i would pay if need 'cause btsync is awesome !"

Today 2.0 is out, and everybody cries "it's a shame blablabla".

Come on, is everything in life is free ?

Well, maybe for free version i would have put 20 folders, and i would have put the price as maybe 20$ a year, but what is really wrong with this new version ?

10 folders is not so bad and honnestly do you know a better software to do all that stuff ?

dropbox is 100$ a year for 1To.

Myself i have 7 folders and almost 4 To sync with btsync, and today a would have no idea to what to use if i would uninstall btsync.

Ok so maybe BTsync staff, please put something like 20 folders in free version, maybe reconsider the price a little bit cheaper, but please everyone are you really thinking 2.0 is as bad ?

Or did i miss something in new version that really sucks ?

Its $3.33 per month, to pay for something that many people have been using for free for a VERY long time.  

During that time of 'free use', how many of the dev team complained and quit in a paddy?  How many said I aint doing this unless you give me X, or Y?

Yes, its a shock.  It always is when you suddenly realise the value of something you rely upon.

Yes, it may be confusing as to why they picked that figure.

But, you aren't paying for a service, you are paying for an application and for the continued development of that application.  

We should be grateful that BTSync is still here, improving and has a free option - many other platforms are not even around anymore, never mind having a free option!  LogMeIn is a good example; they provided free for that long it cost them, and they had to shut free down completely.

Stop trying to argue whether you fit the Free/Pro level - that has already been decided :)

If you came across BTSync now, I am sure you would find a way to sync everything you wanted in 10 folders ;)

Is there any changelog for version 2.0?

I would pay a one time fee or for each mayor version, but I can imagine my descendants trying to figure out how many yearly suscriptions I made and how to cancel them after I die. :lol:  No, I won't be get into another suscription, sorry.

I'm not much affected by the folder limit as I only use 4 but it's not nice to lie to the customers. Baaad boys.

If tomorrow i'll need more than 10 folders, i'm sure i will pay, cause i don't know any other program to do this so well.

I would prefer 20€ anyway, but that's ok...

Maybe staff should have warned it will be paid software and implement a survey to know how many users were willing to pay for this service.

I don't really understand, cause almost everybody use dropbox for 1 folder and just few Go, and so what ? Some people pay for pro dropbox for 1 To !

If you need more than 10 folders, maybe you need pro version because you are using it as a pro ;)

So what is 35$ ?

I fully support the need to make money to support the ongoing development of this fantastic product, but I don't agree with the way this is being done.

By all means, use the subscription model FOR PREMIUM SUPPORT, but keep the software itself on a licence model instead. I'd gladly pay ONCE to buy the software and as required for major updates, but to demand that your customers pay a subscription for software we host and for storage and bandwidth that we provide ourselves is bordering on immoral.

Nice to see the new version out, but I still can't agree with the subscription model when there's no service provided by the company.

I'd happily pay for major upgrades which is what I do for all my other software.  I upgrade when I like, when I've got the money, and when I'm happy that the upgrade is mostly bug free.  I really really don't like the subscription idea.

I personally don't mind a limit of 10 folders, I'm not a power user - the most I've used is 4.  But then I also use Dropbox, Owncloud, Google Drive, Cloud and Unison on and off as well.

I've been using btsync since the alpha and am a bit disappointed. I think the 10 folder limit is completely artificial and agree that it's feels 'sleazy'.

In my case, I have 15 and am not using it for business purposes, most of them are for sharing with friends and family. I'm not interested in paying an annual fee for this because I host all the infrastructure! I'd consider paying for a license for each major release.

So I won't be upgrading. Soon, I guess I'll have to run the following:

git clone git@github.com:syncthing/syncthing.git

Because now I have a good reason to.

Maybe this is the issue here; people were using a beta version of a product, with no idea what the roadmap was for it, and what plans may have already been decided on the business model it was going to involve?

To call it sleazy is a bit harsh in my mind, especially when no-one asked what plans were in place beforehand?

Yes, subscription may be a strange way to cover payment for an application, and that may change.  You makes your choices, and you rolls with the punches.

:)

I am not bothered by the limitations on the Free edition. I think the folder limit is a minor thing and instead I am very excited about the placeholder files feature which feels very much like how OneDrive supposedly used to work. I think that is going to be great, however it makes the most sense, at least of to me, with a centralized service.

I am thus a bit sad to see that BitTorrent hasn't embraced making money from providing something like btsync.com. I'd much rather give my cloud storage money to BitTorrent Inc. than say Dropbox, and these days it can certainly pay off to over the long term to offer unlimited storage for a fixed yearly fee*. 

I just don't feel comfortable with having to manage and ensure the stability and reliability of an ever increasing storage pool, nor do I like my unreliable ISP being the source of the transfer limits at all times (rather than the one time upload of a traditional cloud storage solution). The upfront cost of a good solution for this is simply not tenable, I can get a lot of cloud storage for the price of 2 new 10 TB NAS drives (I currently use 4TB, 10TB feels like the next step up - plus one at a friends house for redundancy because.. fires happen), plus I don't have to worry about being the person responsible for hardware failure.

I do like BitTorrent Sync as a cache for the cloud mothership within my house and Bittorrent is a far nicer protocol for handling the transfers themselves. It feels like it is the natural stepping stone to going all cloud in a way Dropbox, Mega or the other entrants don't currently based on limitations of storage.

*I predict that storage prices keep going down, eventually being limited by running costs. However with services like Spotify, Netflix becoming better e.g. the total storage requirements for users should likely flatten as we will not need to store as much data, or at least the amount will not increase at the insane pace it has in the last decade.

I tried to link all of my devices (8) after upgrading to 2.0 PRO (Free trail by default)

First, when adding a folder. For example i add public... in my other devices it creates public (1) and it does not sync to the public that is in those devices already (using 1.4).

I have a lot of data, is there a way to fix this?

I tried to link all of my devices (8) after upgrading to 2.0 PRO (Free trail by default)

First, when adding a folder. For example i add public... in my other devices it creates public (1) and it does not sync to the public that is in those devices already (using 1.4).

I have a lot of data, is there a way to fix this?

public (1) is the incremental named folder, as public already exists.

If you want to move folder to be v2 folder, instead of 1.4, then remove them from all devices, add to one, wait for config to sync to your other devices, then connect that folder and change the path

NB; leaving device default setting to synced/connected, will auto-create folder under the default path.  Set device default to disconnected to pick the location you want to use.

What if I share 1 folder with filese and 50 subfolders? It syncs 1 folder + files and the first 9 subfolders? Or what?

No, it will sync all 50 of your subfolders :)

The limit is that you can add 10 folders to the free edition of sync - there is no limit on the number of files/sub folders within each of these 10 folders