Sync Pro Has Arrived (?!?!)

Just got an email saying that Sync Pro has arrived. It offered a whopping $10 discount (you've got to be kidding ??). I have spent many, many hour on working with 2.0 and working around a plethora of bugs and anomalies. It think this would amount to $0.10 per hour, or so.

The biggest problem is that no one at BitTorrent has ever told me what exactly Sync Pro is, or more importantly, what Sync Free actually is? Come on!! At least you have to tell us what the free version can do. Can it at least do what 1.4 could?? How about a spec? Or real documentation? I don't think I have ever worked on a piece of software where I was basically "flying blind" most of the time.

The final indignity is that a quick read of the License Agreement says that the Pro License is $40 for one computer. It also says that I may use Pro on a network. Whoppee!  Sync is useless without a network, isn't it? But if I do, each computer must have its own license, which would cost me $240 per year, since I have been using Sync on 6 family & friends computers.

At least tell us what Sync 2.0 Free is? There is one isn't there?

This is a horrible rollout for Sync Pro. It may be time to dust off Sync 1.4.

The biggest problem is that no one at BitTorrent has ever told me what exactly Sync Pro is, or more importantly, what Sync Free actually is? Come on!! At least you have to tell us what the free version can do.

You can find a basic comparison of Free/Pro features here, a detailed comparison here ...and an in-depth overview of Free/Pro features here.

Just got an email saying that Sync Pro has arrived. It offered a whopping $10 discount (you've got to be kidding ??).

Depends how you look at it! - $10 off, when the full cost is $40, actually equates to a 25% discount.

I am not really concerned about the $10 off, or 25% if you prefer. But I think you are being really cheap! I did read the license that's available when you use the link on the announcement. It is quite clear that I would need to buy 6 licenses for the 6 computers that I currently use Sync 2.0 on. For a whopping $240.00 (less 25% on the whole order??)

Some time ago, I enquired about whether I would need one license for each computer and I was told that - NO - A license would cover several computers. Please confirm - or deny - that I am understanding your license correctly.

Some time ago, I enquired about whether I would need one license for each computer and I was told that - NO - A license would cover several computers. Please confirm - or deny - that I am understanding your license correctly.

I did read the license that's available when you use the link on the announcement. It is quite clear that I would need to buy 6 licenses for the 6 computers that I currently use Sync 2.0 on. For a whopping $240.00 (less 25% on the whole order??)

You will only need 1 license in total for your 6 computers, not one license "per device".

The wording of the EULA is currently being looked at by BitTorrent's Legal Dept to make this a lot clearer than it currently is - please also see this thread.

What I don't get is why they offer discounts to volume purchasers. Surely a company is MORE capable of paying $40 per user than an independent user paying for his own license... yet THEY are the ones who get a discount.

Volume discounts make sense when there is bulk shipment or a very large cost of selling. But when applied to software, I think most of the time it's a discount given to those most able to pay you lots of money.