Cannot Add Non-Empty Folder To Sync

Trying to upgrade to 2.0 - adding my old folders on the second machine.  They contain a huge amount of files, don't want to re-sync. 

When I try and add the existing folder using the key (which I emailed to the second machine) I cannot get past the following dialog - click OK then Connect, it just presents itself again...

Version 2.0 on Mac(Cannot add screenshot it seems...  it's a dialog that says "Destination folder is not empty.  Add anyway?  [OK]  [Cancel]

Exactly the same.

# 2 Macs

# both were happily running 1.4.x

# upgrade to 2.x

# half a day wasted trying to simply sync 3 folders.

Epic fail.

Really sad this has happened with a product that felt like one of those "surely it can't be THIS good?" products :/

Anyway, micro rant aside, I really hope there will be an answer to this use case 101 (super simple) problem, thanks for any help you can provide. 

Hi RomanZ,

I may be able to do this one day but right now I am out of time (I spent around half a day trying lots of stuff and can't spend more now).

BUT, I can explain easily.

I have two identical folders on two Macs (as they used to be kept in sync with v1.4). I removed 1.4 and .sync hidden folders and installed 2.x. I set on one Mac a folder to shared. On the other Mac in BTS I choose the folder already auto added by the new v2 feature to get it added to this other Mac. BTS suggests I add it at the default BTS location, this is not where I want the files so I used the normal dialogue to tell it I want the folder sync'd to a spot on my Mac (the pre-existing folder from back in the 1.4 day, where there is a full copy of the files, ready to be kept in sync going forward, but now by v2 BTS). BTS pops up with "destination folder is not empty and files could be overwritten", so I click OK and BTS prompts "destination folder is not empty and files could be overwritten"—and we're stuck in a deadly embrace, me clicking OK and BTS telling me "destination folder is not empty and files could be overwritten". My only option: to click Cancel.

Eventually I gave up and uninstalled BTS 2 and I am currently running with no BTS at all :/

If I do get time to do above I'll video it, but it's gonna just be what I listed there. If there's steps you want more info on before/if I do a vid then please just ask in case I can recall extra info, but I am pretty sure this was the sequence.

Cheers, -Alan

This is similar to what is happening to me. The difference is that it's my Android device that is not adding the folders.

I just went through and removed all my legacy 1.4 stuff and set my NAS back up with 2.0. Seems to be working fine otherwise. Anyway, I am now on my phone. I wiped Syncs app data and went in and deleted the hidden sync folders. The Synced folders are still there. Now that my NAS is set back up, I have linked all of my devices. So my Android phone sees the proper list of my folders. I have simple mode deactivated.

When I click on one of the disconnected folders in the Sync App, it prompts me to choose the folder name and location. This has changed slightly in 2.0, so instead of picking the exact folder as a location, you pick the parent folder and then specify the folder name that will be synced. I don't understand why this change was done, but whatever.

So anyway, when I choose the correct location and name of my existing folder that has all of the files already, and press "Add Folder", nothing happens. It returns me to the list of folders, and the one i just attempted to set up stays disconnected.

I don't see any way to enable debug logs on my Android phone. And I really don't want to delete all of the files off of my phone and resync them, because then they lose all of their "Date Modified" tags, leading to the order of the images to change on the phone(which is another gripe of mine, but I doubt that can really be fixed).

Edited by smashingtool

:/ not tried on Android since the 1.4 to 2.x change so can't comment other than, yes, this sounds the same sort of thing.

I wish I knew why it worked the 2nd time. As I'd removed BTS totally from both Macs in the intervening time I dunno if the ver of BTS I redownloaded was newer or if it was because I had rebooted the Macs or what, it just started working.

Agree that weird/different way of adding folder where you have to choose the parent is not particularly intuitive, at least once I added it at the wrong level as a result and ended up with a copy of a folder inside a copy of the folder... Yuk.

On the upside, I like that shared folders are auto shown to me for easy adding (if I stick with the Pro ver) and since I got it working it's been silent and well behaved.

Yeah, I just upgraded to Pro before tackling setting all of this up. Now I am hoping this can be resolved very quickly because 1.4 was working just fine for me. I never had any issues re-syncing folders or re-setting up the application from scratch(Other than the date modified timestamps being messed up) until now.

Oh, I just tried re-syncing them the old way, and it didn't work. On my phone, I pressed the "+", then "Add a Folder", then I scanned the QR code for the folder i'm trying to sync, and then set up the folder info. I am getting an error when I finally press "Add Folder".  "Unknown Error : 106"

http://imgur.com/MwNWkZ4

Also, while I'm at it, the inability to remove peers that have been disconnected is annoying. I added one of my folders incorrectly, and then disconnected it. I have no way of removing that record at all, keeping the interface showing "1 of 2" peers, regardless of whether that peer is ever coming back.

Edited by smashingtool

• 2 months later...

Good news, everyone. We finally got good debug information from ppl and fixed it. But sorry, no ETA on when it'll be released yet. 

Is there a workaround for now? Some sort of permissions assignment that can be given?

One of my BitTorrent Sync copies is 18,000km away and the other end is a slow connection - re-seeding the data will take weeks.

EDIT: 

Actually, bicman11 over in this thread has a pretty sweet workaround. Just used it and works a-OK!

http://forum.bittorrent.com/topic/38865-two-problems-destination-folder-is-not-empty-loop-and-junctions/#entry107122