How Do I Upgrade "classic Folder"?

Now that 2.0 is out, I finally upgraded. My two devices (iMac and MacBook) are syncing all the same folders as before, and they are all marked as "1.4". Both devices have the same identity. Now apparently "classic folders" don't support some of the features that 2.0 folders support. Like what? All my devices are 2.0 -- so why is the share still 1.4? How do I get it to "upgrade" so I can take advantage of the new features for existing shared folders?

Seems like when a sync is initiated from mobile it will default to a 1.4 folder. I was attempting to sync my Download folder (android) and could only get it to sync as a 1.4 folder.

Same with gallery backup, it gets setup as a 1.4 folder.

Edited by joelnet

Here's how I was able to force it to work:

• Add Download Folder on desktop Sync.
  • Rename Download folder on Android (folder must not exist or you will get an error).
  • When folder appears on mobile, connect to /storage/emulated/0/ with the folder name set as Download.
  • Move files from old Download folder to new Download folder.

Seems weird the on iOS Sync 2.0 it creates a 1.4 share on my other linked 2.0 devices. Also it has been made read only. But my ~/BitTorrent Sync folder is shared among all my linked devices, and it is also the default location for new shares. So now I have a read only ~/BitTorrent Sync/My iPhone Camera Backup folder that is inside the read write ~/BitTorrent Sync folder. I thought that was not possible? Is it going to bug out?

I tried to delete a photo from my iPhone, but it stayed in the backup folder on my iMac. Also even though I only shared it to my iMac, it also appeared on my MacBook (because the whole BitTorrent Sync folder is shared). When I deleted the photo from my iMac as well (because it had been deleted on the iPhone), it was deleted from the MacBook but replaced with a bts link on the iMac. Double clicking the bts link showed an error about the file already being in the queue to sync and maybe I should pause some other folders. Not sure where it's going to sync from, though. It's been deleted from the iPhone and is not on the MacBook either, so it can't sync from anywhere.

Not all of my shares are located in the BitTorrent Sync folder. A couple are elsewhere on the file system, but generally I want to just share that one folder among all MY linked devices, and I want to share (with RW or RO permissions) to other identities (e.g. wife) only SOME of those sub folders. This behaviour is just like dropbox. I don't want to have to create a new share for every single folder inside BitTorrent Sync folder to get it appearing on all my devices. I just want to put anything in that folder and have it sync.

Then I would make a different default folder that would contain inbound shares. So all of the folders/shares in the current BT folder your identity will be the owner of (rw) but in the default folder your machine (since it could still be your identity as in the case of mobile camera shares) would be read only.

Default is set to be "Disconnected", so if anyone shares with me or if I create new shares owned by my identity, I can choose their location when I connect them. For the camera backup though, it seems that as soon as I selected the iMac from within the iOS app, it automatically connected it in the default directory as RO. I think before I did that it probably appeared as disconnected (because it shows on my MacBook as disconnected). So maybe I should have connected manually and chosen a location on the iMac instead of selecting iMac as a destination from the iOS app.

But none of this answers the question about RO share within RW share. I thought this was not allowed, but Sync has allowed it (and actually done it for me automatically). Are there definite known problems with RO shares nested inside RW shares?

Understandable and ultimately it may be a bug where a precheck of the parent folders permissions are looked at although it seems more likely the root folder wasn't designed to be shared. For your last sentence though about will it cause issues, hopefully GreatMarko or RomanZ will have the definitive answer for you but if not then it sounds like you already have the answer from your earlier test.

• 2 months later...

I just set up a completely new installation of Sync across three devices (due to a upgrade process that resulted in disaster), and the camera does indeed become a 1.4 folder. This when installing from scratch, 2.0 across the table.

That's correct - the Camera Backup folder is always a "classic" style folder 1.4. As mentioned previously, you can't "convert" this to a 2.0 style folder.

• 3 weeks later...