Why Is The "status" Field Empty 99.99% Of The Time?

It should *always* reveal the current status for a share, whether that is indexing, synced, syncing (%), etc.

And when it does finally tell me something, I have so little confidence that it's actually telling me the truth.

For example when I start syncing a large folder, it might say 5MB/s uploading, but then after the sync has finished and it's not actually uploading anything anymore, it still reports that it is uploading but the speed drops down every second (guessing the value only updates once per second) until it disappears.

Looks like the app is reporting an average speed over the last 5 seconds or something, and it takes 5 seconds after syncing finishes to stop doing so during which time it's reporting bad data.

I don't understand how/why it can't just accurately report the current status in real time?

One reason not to update a field like this in "real time" is to use less CPU time. It is not nessesary to see the on the second correct speed IMHO and if you do want to see this there are built in tool in Windows or OS X that let you see excatly what is using how much bandwith.

The status field, please someone correct me if this has changed, doesn't reflect anything if it is fully synced. It will be blank indicating that everything is syned.

I'm not talking about updating it a hundred times per second. It's pretty standard to update progress bars once per second, and it looks like that's what BitTorrent sync already does. I'm talking about providing accurate information when an update does occur (e.g. when it's not uploading anything because it's finished syncing, don't recalculate an average speed with 0 as the current speed), and showing always showing the current status (e.g. synced, syncing, indexing, etc.)

Blank does not indicate that everything is synced. It doesn't indicate anything at all. 1.4 used to show a tick icon at least when it was synced.

Blank does not indicate that everything is synced. It doesn't indicate anything at all. 1.4 used to show a tick icon at least when it was synced.

I agree I also miss this little tick :(

But I think I know what you mean and I wonder if it is still occuring in the latest version, which is 2.0.82 from this day.

I agree I also miss this little tick :(

But I think I know what you mean and I wonder if it is still occuring in the latest version, which is 2.0.82 from this day.

2.0.82 is the version I'm seeing the average speed problem on. After some problems with the alpha and beta, i decided to stay away from 2.0 and went back to 1.4.110 until 2.0.82 was released and I decided to try again.

• 1 month later...

I have to say I agree with this. I've upgraded to v2 today, and I have no idea if my files are synced or not.

The reason I upgraded was because 1.4 seemed to simply stop syncing.  

I occasionally see "indexing" on one PC, but if I create a new file in a synced folder, nothing transfers over.  All my folders are 1.4 Classics.

Agreed. It would be nice if it could also provide feedback if something is not right. Eg. some simplified log messages or something. Also, when there are locked files, it nicely indicates, but it does not tell which files are actually locked. That would help a lot to track down the culprits and maybe close applications.

• 3 months later...

Hi all,

Sorry it's taken me a while to get to this thread.

We decided to remove the "synced" status because it was buggy in some cases, and we preferred to say nothing rather than being occasionally inaccurate. We have been working hard to improve it, as it is really important to understand what's happening with your folders. We will reach out when we have something we are ready to test with a small group. 

Thanks for your patience,

Daniel Erwin

Sync Design Lead

• 4 months later...

Hi all,

Sorry it's taken me a while to get to this thread.

We decided to remove the "synced" status because it was buggy in some cases, and we preferred to say nothing rather than being occasionally inaccurate. We have been working hard to improve it, as it is really important to understand what's happening with your folders. We will reach out when we have something we are ready to test with a small group. 

Thanks for your patience,

Daniel Erwin

Sync Design Lead

Any update this to this?  I am trialing version 2.2.x and sp far so good, but this empty status field leaves me well with an empty feeling. Please find those 'bugs', and please implement an accurate working status field.

Thanks in advance,

PacketMan

• 2 months later...