Android Bug: Reconnecting A Folder To Previous Custom Path Fails Pretty Badly

jdrch

In the Android 2.0 client: if you disconnect and then attempt to reconnect a folder,* the folder will fail to add if you specify a custom path unless the custom path contains the folder name, in which case BitTorrent Sync appends a child folder to the path.

For example:

for a folder named "Documents," BitTorrent Sync will fail to add CustomPath/Folder/ if you want CustomPath/Folder/Documents.

BUT:

If you specify CustomPath/Folder/Documents, BitTorrent Sync will create a CustomPath/Folder/Documents/Documents path instead, which leads to obvious problems.

The only workaround I've found for this is to disconnect and remove the folder from the Android device, then manually re-add it to the custom path by sharing a QR code from the 2.0 desktop client.

This workaround brings up a serious philosophical point: per BTS' own documentation, removing a folder in this fashion should remove it from all your devices. Yet the fact that it doesn't (or at least does so slowly enough so that the above method works) allows me to workaround the above pretty nasty bug. In other words, this puts the user in the extremely awkward position of using one bug to fix another. I've never experienced that in all my aeons of beta testing/troubleshooting.

Can this be fixed soon?

*I had to disconnect the folder to fix a "110" error.

I'm running into the same issue with a twist.

My anal retentive self didn't like the /storage/emulated/0/Movies/Movies and I thought I accidentally did that by creating the folder in the folder, but apparently not.

After removing it, I tried to add it again, but it won't add. Additionally, using your workaround is now giving Unknown Error 106.

I'm running into the same issue with a twist.

My anal retentive self didn't like the /storage/emulated/0/Movies/Movies and I thought I accidentally did that by creating the folder in the folder, but apparently not.

After removing it, I tried to add it again, but it won't add. Additionally, using your workaround is now giving Unknown Error 106.

Hmmm, try this (2nd heading) and let me know how it works.

Excellent. That worked. However, I will say that if you remove the file from your Android device and then try to click the share link on the desktop, it goes away in less than a second. On my second try, I pulled up the share dialog on the desktop first, then removed from the Android device, then was able to readd the folder without issue and without the double named folders.

So steps 8-10 should go after step 3.

I will say that if you remove the file from your Android device and then try to click the share link on the desktop, it goes away in less than a second.

Mine didn't go away at all, but that's a great idea to prevent that problem. Good thinking, I'll make the edit.

Update: edited and credited you.