amp88759

Is There Any Way To Have A Device 'mesh' And Sync Folders To Other Peers Without Having Them Sync To All Devices

I have a question?

I would like to link all the iMacs in my pharmacy and the Drobo under one device identity along with two laptops and a QNAP at home.

I would then also like to use BT Sync to share folders with other peers who are not part of my device identity.

ie. Folders I share to friends I would like them not to be synced to my work 'mesh'

Is this scenario possible?

Thanks in advance.

Not that I am aware of and that is an issue that hadn't dawned on me. Although depending on whether you plan on being the owner of the share to the other peers or the receiving end determines whether your situtaion is really an example of the issue I have in mind.

So for outbound shares (i.e shares that were created) on any device registered to your identity then they should show up amongst all of your My Devices (whether sync, connected, or disconnected)

But for inbound shares from another identity (or 1.4 pre-identity) those should only show up on the MyDevice device that received the share. Just because they are on that single MyDevice device does not mean that they should show up on all of the other MyDevice devices.

For example:

This is a simplified version of my setup so it's possible that starting from scratch vs an upgrade or not having a 1.4 peer would render different results. I don't know.

MyDevices (so 2.0)- DesktopA and AndroidA

Peer (1.4) - DesktopB

I create a share on DesktopA. This will show up on AndroidA but not DesktopB (of course) unless I share it. *expected/desired behavior*

Friend creates a shared on DesktopB and sends me the link via email. I click on the link on DesktopA and add it. It also adds it as an available share on AndroidB. *this is not expected nor desired but it's what I am seeing*

Hopefully I didn't hijack your thread too much :)

Hi there

Thanks for chipping in.

Basically I want a device identity where LaptopA LaptopB Drobo and QNAP receive all folders as part of a device identity.

But I also want to link Desktop1 thru Desktop7 as a device identity.

I then want to share only certain folders from the first identity to the second identity.

Do you think this is possible: maybe with two licenses?

Andrew

Your 2nd scenario suggests two identities, but your 1st scenario sounds like one identity plus sharing with outsiders. Whether you need any licenses depends on whether you need any Pro features (identities are not a Pro feature, but My Devices is).

No. I brought this up almost immediately as a beta tester, but it was ignored. Sort of like the promise to keep all 1.4 features like unlimited folders still available in the Sync 2.0 Free version.

The MyDevices\Identity thing only meets one specific use case, which is unfortunate as it is pretty much forced upon you by Sync 2.0 Pro (unless you use multiple identities but then the licensing costs increase).

As a raised during the beta, a better approach would be to have the concept of a device group - a device can belong to multiple groups. When you share a folder you can choose to share it with a particular device (or devices) or with a device group (or multiple device groups) or a mixture of both.

However, I don't think they allowed the beta to run long enough to consider all of this.

This is one feature I have discussed as well.  The way BTSYNC is designed is such that a folder share/sync is not one to one, but a mesh.  if you 'share(sync)' a folder with more than one peer the software automatically creates the mesh that has ALL peers communicating together synchronising the files within the folder between all of the peers.  This is the basis of the software, not a feature.  This (I think) is why it is called BTSync, not BTBackup or BTShare (please correct me Devs if I am wrong here)