Btsync 2.0 Gui Not Accesible On Freebsd X86_64#


Recommended Posts

i wonder if is just me, but i can't get the gui to work on FreeBsd X64. I'm trying to get btsync to work on Nas4Free, and yes i can get 1.x btsync version to work just fine.


what i can't get to work is 2x version, more precise the GUI doesn't seem to respond, my browser just waits for a response for a long time and nothing comes back.


here's what i did:


1. download the latest version of btsync 2.0 from I just re-execute all these steps today (March 7, 2015).

2. untar and start using this command line:

 # ./btsync --webui.listen

3. everything starts up fine, i can see these things in .sync/sync.log

[20150307 11:01:55.133] Using IP address

[20150307 11:01:55.151] Loading config file version 2.0.85

[20150307 11:01:55.151] My PeerID: 10E469C9EA8D9484720D980E61BFC25B5610C845

[20150307 11:01:56.137] UPnP: Device error "": (-2) 

[20150307 11:01:56.284] UPnP: Device error "": (-2) 

[20150307 11:01:56.286] UPnP: Device error "": (-2) 

[20150307 11:01:56.287] UPnP: Device error "": (-2) 

[20150307 11:01:56.288] UPnP: Device error "": (-2) 

[20150307 11:01:56.290] UPnP: Device error "": (-2) 

[20150307 11:01:56.334] UPnP: Device error "": (-2) 

[20150307 11:01:56.385] UPnP: Device error "": (-2) 

[20150307 11:02:07.568] NAT-PMP: Unable to map port with NAT-PMP.

[20150307 11:21:57.181] UPnP: Device error "": (-2) 

[20150307 11:21:57.237] UPnP: Device error "": (-2) 

[20150307 11:21:57.241] UPnP: Device error "": (-2) 

[20150307 11:21:57.244] UPnP: Device error "": (-2) 

[20150307 11:21:57.296] UPnP: Device error "": (-2) 

[20150307 11:21:57.337] UPnP: Device error "": (-2) 

[20150307 11:21:57.643] UPnP: Device error "": (-2) 

[20150307 11:22:00.091] UPnP: Device error "": (-2) 


i'm not too worried about those errors, i got those on a different device/build (WD MyPassport wireless/ARM linux) and they seem to be part of the first startup. after the first startup everything seems to be working normally.


4. when i go to the browser just spins, nothing comes back. i'm looking right now at the browser and it's been waiting for at least 20 minutes. i tried with Chrome (my default browser) and also with Safari. same behaviour. i have btsync 2.0 installed on a couple of other devices and everything works just fine. as far as i can tell this seems to be a problem with the FreeBSD x64 build.


i can see that the browser actually connects on the port, is just that the server doesn't responds for some reasons (or waits on something?)


 # netstat -an | grep 8888

tcp4      82      0     CLOSE_WAIT

tcp4      82      0     CLOSE_WAIT

tcp4       0      0     CLOSE_WAIT

tcp4       0      0     CLOSE_WAIT

tcp4     404      0     ESTABLISHED

tcp4     427      0     CLOSE_WAIT

tcp4       0      0     CLOSE_WAIT

tcp4       0      0     CLOSE_WAIT

tcp4       0      0     CLOSE_WAIT

tcp4       0      0     CLOSE_WAIT

tcp4     427      0     CLOSE_WAIT

tcp4       0      0 *.8888                 *.*                    LISTEN



any idea what i'm doing wrong? i'm inclined to say the FreeBSD x64 build has a problem but i can't prove that

Edited by alin
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Probably no real answer/help for you, but I know this behaviour from btsync when the system is 'a bit underpowered' and the shares it has to index contain _a_lot_ of files ...


... then the bootstrap of btsync seems to take a very long time, and in this time, the webinterface doesn't react at all (but the systems kernel already accepted the TCP-Connection. Hence no timeout)


So often enough it seems simply enough to just wait until it has done its thing.



When I switched to latest btsync 2 it also took me a very while to react.

So I was interested to find out what it's doing and startet to watch the open filehandles with "lsof"


What I found for _MY_ system, was, that I was syncing a folder, which contained some symlinks into "/"

And btsync seemed to follow them recursively. The problem when I catched it doing this, was, that it seemed

to get stuck somewhere in


so it turned nice circles indexing all the files in /proc without noticing ....


Thats something I haven't seen before with 1.4.* 


Maybe you're experiencing something similar ...




Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank you for the info, it makes a lot of sense so i try it. i started the daemon 2 days ago, got a bit busy with other stuff and just left it running without checking it.


i checked the daemon couple of minutes ago (again, after couple of days) and is gone. nothing in the logs to explain what happen, the daemon just crashed like 10 hours ago after running for a day or so. i restarted the daemon and i'm going to try again after i leave it for a little while to do it's thing.


in terms of resources my system is decent (16GB ram, quad core proc). it is a NAS system so i have quite the number of files. now, i haven't configured btsync in any way (can't get to the UI to do it and i don't want to handcraft a config file) so i haven't specified any shared folders. this is the initial start for me to get to the UI and configure folders.


i do see this in lsof which i'm not sure what to make of it


btsync  9741 root  rtd     VDIR              0,131      512        2 /

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.