Discussion: How Much Would You Pay For A One-Time Fee Version Of Sync 2.0

How much would you give Bit Torrent Sync, right now, if they gave you an option to pay for software that doesn't require a yearly subscription and allows you to have all of the features of Sync 2.0 Pro?

Please, don't drag this thread out into a long and painful discussion of what features matter or don't. Just answer the question.

I'll fork over $75, right now.

40$ one time for each major release (2.0/3.0 etc), or 10$ a year.

i pay 60$/year for backblaze, which is an online backup. They've got a lot of server and million of hard disc to save lots and lots of things. Currently i've saved almost 2To online

So actually, 40$/year just to use sync on my own hardware is way too crazy expensive.

Personally I'd be happy to pay $100 for a one off.

I'm a programmer myself (Android) and understand the importance for the BTSync guys to get revenue and to get paid for what they've done, its just $40/year/ever feels like being gouged, especially when we have to provide our own storage.

What I really would like to see is a middle tier, pay once, 20 folder limit with on-demand sync. Would buy that instantly.

Kate

It's almost impossible for now to know what it's worth since I've not been able to test the new features yet and last version still had bugs.

I agree with a mid-tier at 20 folder and 29.95$ seems like a good price for single users, with bulk price at 99$ for four licences.

• 2 weeks later...

I voted $41-$50, but that is what I would have paid when it was released.  At this point, with everything that has happened and the lack of a real response from the BTSync team I would have to think long and hard about dropping a single penny on this software.  I've been using the free version recently which I've been making work, but have also been looking at and testing Syncthing which has been working great so far (and running my own discovery server has the added benefit of not relying on anyone).

I am willing to pay $100, or even more (up to $200) only if 

1. I can run my own tracker

2. btsync for windows can be running as system service.

At this time, I don't want to pay for 2.0. Frankly btsync's "sorry no system service for you" attitude does not earn my money.

I think a price under 50 dollars would be fine!

The real question is... is this survey worth? Do you think BitTorrent staff will read and accept a folk proposition? I think they've been blind to this kind of comments, since the 2.0 came out breaking their original promises...

I'd be happy with $59 or $69 to pay for the 2.0 release.

And then upgrades at $29 or $39 for 3.0, etc.

Treat it like software, ala 1Password.

This is my ball-park numbers as well. I completed some survey weeks ago (and added some comments of extreme distatse for the current pricing scheme) and just today received an "offer" for a big discount....for the first year. Still a subscription, which is my bigger issue with this whole mess. I'd pay decent money as a one-time fee, and paid upgrades IF WANTED/NEEDED, but I don't do subscription software unless it is something that I NEED and is so prohibitively expensive that it's the only way I will be able to access it. Even then, I always look for more reasonable (open source when possible) alternatives and am often pleasantly suprised when I find something not only comparable but better.

I think all our comments are just bytes lost in the web... they will never go back on their decision. There will only be the subscription method...

I'm starting to think you are correct...but I don't know if I'd go back on my decision to switch to Syncthng even if they did switch to a one time charge.  If they had any intention of switching away from the subscription model I think they would have issued some statement by now even it was just to say they understand everyones concerns, but besides the response from epounds in the broken promise thread (which didn't actually address anyones concerns) I haven't heard anything official from the BT team and honestly I don't think we will.

A while ago, I'd say $29.95 for pack of 3 licenses, if the source code was open (still using their centralized trackers).  Now, the bugs and changing interface put me off, and what really put me off is their 2.0 limit of 10 folders -- I don't trust them anymore.  

I have been migrating to Syncthing and the future there seems promising.  A new windows GUI has popped up (Synctrayzor) in the last few weeks that is much more user-friendly for the average user.  It makes me happy.  If BT could find a way to monetize something that makes people happy, maybe we could all be happy.

I'd give $50-$100 per license if you remove (or make secondary/optional) some of the new 2.0 features.

I think close to ideal would be:

• Simple keys just like in 1.4. This is/was *the* killer feature of Sync. Keys are shareable even with pen and paper; if thats what someone wants. Anonymous, secure and simple.
  • Selective sync ("Sync all") introduced in 2.0
  • No accounts, identities or "linked devices" (or make this mode completely optional and definitely not the default)
  • No linking via public Bittorrent Inc. hosted URLs (or optional with appropriate warnings of the security risks involved)

So easy :rolleyes:

Hmm good question.

I think that I would pay 60$ for a 3 pack in version 4 or 5.

That would be with the assumption that the program is closing in on a "final" product by those versions, currently it still feels like a beta product working half the time.

jaredthirsk, I'll take a look at that solution too.

A while ago, I'd say $29.95 for pack of 3 licenses, if the source code was open (still using their centralized trackers).  Now, the bugs and changing interface put me off, and what really put me off is their 2.0 limit of 10 folders -- I don't trust them anymore.  

I have been migrating to Syncthing and the future there seems promising.  A new windows GUI has popped up (Synctrayzor) in the last few weeks that is much more user-friendly for the average user.  It makes me happy.  If BT could find a way to monetize something that makes people happy, maybe we could all be happy.

SyncTrazor is ok, but there is another GUI that I like even better, also found on GitHub....

https://github.com/syncthing/syncthing-gtk