Discussion: Is The 10 Folder Limit The Only Reason You Won't Be Upgrading From 1.4 To 2.0 Free?

Sub folders do not count.

As for why the frustration, because I'm not willing to alter my entire file structure in order to accommodate a newly added limitation. I could absolutely force it to work using less than ten folders. Symbolic links, for example, might work as subfolders under this system. But that misses the point. They went back on their word and created this limitation. Who is to say that they won't make it 5 folders in version 3? (And them promising not to, which they haven't, means nothing at this point. No credibility exists in this dojo.)

Now as for Dropbox, it's not a comparable product. I've never used Sync the way I use Dropbox.

For me, Sync is more of a backup tool / convenience. I have personal photos and videos backed up between 2-3 computers, photos and videos from the inlaws backed up onto mine, my phone and my wife's phone's download, photos, and backup directories mirrored with a computer, Windows (My) Documents shared between my laptop and desktop, a share between my wife's laptop and mine, A few others.

Dropbox is a cloud solution where I only put things I'm comfortable putting onto the cloud and / or I need accessible on a machine other than one of my own. Same with OneDrive, Google Drive, Box, etc. I would consider using those services to backup my photos and videos, but nothing else.

As a technical point there is no reason that you can't use BTSync in the same manner as you are using Dropbox.  Granted Dropbox et al are an easier solution (especially if your on PC with restricted access) but it is doable with BTSync probably moreso with 2.0.

Sub folders do not count.

As for why the frustration, because I'm not willing to alter my entire file structure in order to accommodate a newly added limitation. I could absolutely force it to work using less than ten folders. Symbolic links, for example, might work as subfolders under this system. But that misses the point. They went back on their word and created this limitation. Who is to say that they won't make it 5 folders in version 3? (And them promising not to, which they haven't, means nothing at this point. No credibility exists in this dojo.)

So you are upset that a program (which you use for free, and was provided to your for free) decided to change the way its free features are presented to you without however changing the end result? You still have unlimited folders just within 10 containers if you will. 

Regarding your DropBox comments. Simply because you don't use BT Sync as a Dropbox replacement doesn't make the product not a comparable piece of software. 

Where you to leave a computer or NAS (the NAS being the ideal solution here) you would have an exact replica of dropbox functionality, only without size limitations, 10 folders instead of one, and syncing speeds DropBox can not match. 

I still want a standard purchase plan versus subscription (just like everybody else), but I'm sorry I can't understand the complaint on this thread.

2d

As a technical point there is no reason that you can't use BTSync in the same manner as you are using Dropbox.  Granted Dropbox et al are an easier solution (especially if your on PC with restricted access) but it is doable with BTSync probably moreso with 2.0.

Yes and no. The following assumes I'm duplicating Dropbox functionality on a machine that isn't mine for the purposes of getting a file.

Assuming 1.4 and below you'd need to have the key for the shared folder. 2.0 you'd need the identity, and if I understand things correctly you have to be pretty quick to disable any shared folders you don't want synced to whatever machine you just installed Sync onto, and enabling selective sync. In either case you have to install a piece of software (BTSync) and have the requisite information.

Dropbox has a web interface. So assuming I just want that one file, or a small number of files, I don't need to install anything so long as I have access to a browser. I can also install Dropbox on a Windows machine with limited privileges. I may also be able to do that with Sync, but I haven't tried. 

In any event, that accounts for accessing small numbers of files. Dropbox wins that one, simply on the basis of having web access. For my other use case, cloud backup of personal photos and videos, BTSync doesn't have the feature. You can claim (and you didn't) that my server is "the cloud" but at the end of the day my resources are limited compared with a large corporation such as Dropbox/Amazon, Google, Microsoft, etc. If my server goes down or I lose a hard drive, I have nothing to take its place. I've got the most important stuff mirrored to my laptop, but that's hardly the same as having it on a near infinitely backed up machine in a vast server farm. 

Assuming 1.4 and below you'd need to have the key for the shared folder. 2.0 you'd need the identity, and if I understand things correctly you have to be pretty quick to disable any shared folders you don't want synced to whatever machine you just installed Sync onto, and enabling selective sync.

Nope. You can configure the default behavior for a peer. E.g. on my MacBook Air I have the default behavior set to selective sync and on my NAS to sync all. If I add a new share on my desktop, it gets synced to my NAS by default, but not to my MacBook Air.

Dropbox has a web interface. So assuming I just want that one file, or a small number of files, I don't need to install anything so long as I have access to a browser. I can also install Dropbox on a Windows machine with limited privileges. I may also be able to do that with Sync, but I haven't tried. 

They are large, but completely overlapping sets. E.g., I rarely use the web interface of Dropbox. I use Sync with a NAS, so they are largely overlapping for me. Of course, there are differences too. Downloading using Sync outside our home network is capped by our upstream. Dropbox isn't.

You can claim (and you didn't) that my server is "the cloud" but at the end of the day my resources are limited compared with a large corporation such as Dropbox/Amazon, Google, Microsoft, etc. If my server goes down or I lose a hard drive, I have nothing to take its place. I've got the most important stuff mirrored to my laptop, but that's hardly the same as having it on a near infinitely backed up machine in a vast server farm. 

The cloud is just somebody else's server wink.png. But of course, you are right, Google, Dropbox, et al. have far more redundancy. You see this in daily use, e.g. the BTSync daemon on ARM Linux has a tendency to crash every now and then or to get stuck in some unusable state. This means that my permanent peer is unavailable and the whole thing falls down. OTOH, if some critical infrastructure at Dropbox goes down, your machines can't sync at all, while BTSync will do fine on a local network.

At any rate, technically they are not completely the same, which leads to different functionality. However, they largely cover the same use case: keeping one or more folders synchronized between multiple devices + sharing those folders such that they can also be synchronized with other people's machines.

Also, large differences exist between the cloud services that you mention. E.g. Dropbox syncs only parts of files that are modified, Google Drive syncs a whole file if it was modified. Dropbox has peer to peer functionality where machines that are on the same network can sync P2P. Google Drive does not have this functionality. In Dropbox you can share a folder, and the other person gets the shared folder in their Dropbox and can sync it to their machine. Microsoft's OneDrive cannot do this (the shared folder is visible in the web interface, but cannot be synced locally).

Also, large differences exist between the cloud services that you mention. E.g. Dropbox syncs only parts of files that are modified, Google Drive syncs a whole file if it was modified. Dropbox has peer to peer functionality where machines that are on the same network can sync P2P. Google Drive does not have this functionality. In Dropbox you can share a folder, and the other person gets the shared folder in their Dropbox and can sync it to their machine. Microsoft's OneDrive cannot do this (the shared folder is visible in the web interface, but cannot be synced locally).

That's true. With regard to Dropbox I have immense respect for their engineers. Dropbox technical functionality is above all other cloud services that I've looked into. Their P2P service would be greater still if the cloud could validate that the local machine has the most recent copy of files, and would allow it to sync other computers on that network WHILE it syncs with dropbox would make it absolutely the best cloud solution, because it would effectively give you BT Sync functionality locally, and still give you cloud redundancy without costing you in hardware. 

All that said BT Sync does all of this now, with the added benefit of not having your material on anyone else's hardware (unless you specifically share it with someone).

Excellent post btw. 

2d

• 3 months later...