Consider Me Confused -

In sync 1.0 you used to share a folder, copy the key, paste the key in on the other machine and the two folders synced. Easy as pie. Either I'm being a total knuckle head or I am missing something in 2.0.

I used to sync my entire documents folder from my macbook to my mac pro and my windows machine. This way all documents were in sync on all three machines. For the life of me, this new share thing works completely differently.

I can get the sync to work, but now it puts it in the "default directory."

I don't want it to copy the files to the default directory. I want it to sync the folders in place like they did before. What was wrong with that way?

Can someone please explain to me how this might be accomplished?

Thanks

Yeah, they really made this latest update a cluster fuck. Took me half a day to figure it out and spent a second half day getting it all straightened out. You basically have to start over. Disconnect and delete all of your 1.4 folders (but not the contents). Go into settings and set up your existing Sync folders as the default location. And then 'share' these with yourself (or others) by way of email/copy&paste/QR. On the peer devices, be sure to set you default folder(s) again, then accept the invitation to share and it should start syncing as 2.0 folders.

Yeah Thanks I'll give that a try - so this means that you can only have synced folders if they are in the default library?

Who's idea was that? What if I want to sync two folders that aren't in the default location?

Methinks I may be going back to 1.4 - 

Yeah, they really made this latest update a cluster fuck. Took me half a day to figure it out and spent a second half day getting it all straightened out. You basically have to start over. Disconnect and delete all of your 1.4 folders (but not the contents). Go into settings and set up your existing Sync folders as the default location. And then 'share' these with yourself (or others) by way of email/copy&paste/QR. On the peer devices, be sure to set you default folder(s) again, then accept the invitation to share and it should start syncing as 2.0 folders.

Just tried that and it created a documents (1) folder.

I'm probably doing it wrong, but I don't care and I don't like the way it works now.

I'm going back to 1.4. It was simple and it worked.

@Windlasher

There are 2 options you can do to get folder in location you need:

1) Make sure your "My Devices" on peer B receives new folders in "Disconnected" state. Add folder on peer A. Observe it appears on peer B. Click "Connect" on folder line (it will be available as all folders on B now appear as "Disconnected"), it will prompt you for the folder you want to save incoming folder to. Fix the path manually if needed.

2) Move the folder with your file manager - Sync will track it if folder stays on same logical drive.

@Windlasher

1) Make sure your "My Devices" on peer B receives new folders in "Disconnected" state. Add folder on peer A. Observe it appears on peer B. Click "Connect" on folder line (it will be available as all folders on B now appear as "Disconnected"), it will prompt you for the folder you want to save incoming folder to. Fix the path manually if needed.

2) Move the folder with your file manager - Sync will track it if folder stays on same logical drive.

Thanks but I have already gone back to 1.4. I won't completely bail to another software because I like the idea of bittorrent protocol so I'll keep checking back to see whats up. While that may work, the new methodology is too complex for most users and I don't want to have to do that on three or four machines. What happens in the event of a HD crash or new machine replacement?

For the love of god go back to the way it was. It was simple and you didn't have to think about it. 

And.... while you are in there, add a button that allows you to exclude folders without having to muck about with hidden files.  

@Windlasher

@RomanZ

This is indeed confusing. We have been using BtSync for our business to Sync our projects for some time know. We are syncing over 50 folders on up to 10 Devices (Linux, Mac, Windows, Android, iOS) with various logical volumes in different locations.

The 1.4 paradigm worked great for us and we are happy to pay for support....

But the default location approach makes it quite complex to manage for us.

What ist the benefit of this new pradigm?

Are there any downsides of using 1.4 folders in 2.0?

Is there a plan for a folder migration tool?

Best regards.

Yup - this new way of doing everything w/ the identity and in the default folder is a regression in usability, as far as I'm concerned.

This is right.

you have more control, not less, so it's not regression...

Use is easy and you can control what you want, if you use just at home or office, with only one identity, you just have to configure and it's really easy...

This is wrong.

you have more control, not less, so it's not regression...

Use is easy and you can control what you want, if you use just at home or office, with only one identity, you just have to configure and it's really easy...

Your mileage may vary. You can love it and we can choose NOT to love it. 

I can get the sync to work, but now it puts it in the "default directory."

I don't want it to copy the files to the default directory. I want it to sync the folders in place like they did before. What was wrong with that way?

If you turned on "Place new share in default directory automatically" by default, it just works this way. You can just move the sub directory to the place you like. Or turn off the option and manually select place.

In the end, two way give same result.

This is wrong.

Good argument

Your mileage may vary. You can love it and we can choose NOT to love it.

i understand, but if you just create an identity on each computer, then you are free to share a folder like on 1.4, so i don't see any problem in this new feature.

So ok, you can choose not to love it, but you are free to use or NOT

i don't know the expression in english, but "who can do more can do less".

In that case it's true, you can choose to use 2.0 folders or 1.4 if you prefer.

In my case, i have one identity, 3 computers, so this new way is ok. If i want to share with friends, family, or pro, i can just generate a full or temporary key, and it's like on 1.4

really i can't see what's the problem cause you can choose the way you want

And by the way, just shift clic on "+" to add folder, then you have a 1.4 folder the way you love ;)

0e236b4e05.png 3d4e90f9cf.png

So you do not even need to use the 2.0 folder

i understand, but if you just create an identity on each computer, then you are free to share a folder like on 1.4, so i don't see any problem in this new feature.

So ok, you can choose not to love it, but you are free to use or NOT

Actually, I'm not.

First, we have to be aware of that option and turn it off before even knowing it is going to create a problem.

Second, how do we remove established folders so we can do it right once we figured out there is a problem?  Let's see, right click on folders in BTSync2, nope, nothing there to remove folders.  I can disconnect them but that's it, no removing them.  So I get to clutter up my ID with those disconnected folders.  SWEET!

Third, how do we move a folder that was created in the wrong location.  One of the major uses I had for BTSync was to keep my local Thunderbird archives synced between machines.  In case you're not familiar with Thunderbird it does kind of prefer to have its profile in the directory it created.  Under BTSync1 I added the folder on the first machine, went to the second machine, entered the key, pointed it to the correct directory for TBird to find, done.

Fast forward to updating to BTSync2.  I was told that syncing was faster on the BTSync2 folders.  OK, great!  Disconnect Thunderbird classic folder (which I can't remove, see point 2), created sync in the same folder and it is added to my ID.  Awesome!  Fire up second machine and, whoops, it is in my default folder because of the always on option (see point 1).  So now my second machine is not syncing to the right location.  Simple, uncheck the option, remove the fold...  OHHHHHHHH, can't do that!  I could point it to the proper folder but... nope, can't do that either.  So now, thanks to the default option I cannot use the *ONE* major thing I want to use BTSync2 for.

If you don't see this as a major regression and a huge problem with how the defaults are set, then I so dearly hope you do not design the user experience for any product I have to use.

Alright, ill be the first to say my switch over to 2.0 was very messy as I didnt stop and read/think about what i was doing/clicking and ended up with a bunch of (1) folders.  While it is very frustrating, several people are making this seem like its the end of the world when really its not.   Most your files are still in tact and with a little critical thinking, its not terribly hard to fix.   If you invested the same amount of time into fixing the problem as you do complaining about it you would quickly see its quite fixable.  

Alright, ill be the first to say my switch over to 2.0 was very messy as I didnt stop and read/think about what i was doing/clicking and ended up with a bunch of (1) folders.  While it is very frustrating, several people are making this seem like its the end of the world when really its not.   Most your files are still in tact and with a little critical thinking, its not terribly hard to fix.   If you invested the same amount of time into fixing the problem as you do complaining about it you would quickly see its quite fixable.  

Actually, I have spent *more* time trying to fix it than I did writing that message above.  If I am missing something, tell me.

1: How do I remove folders, not disconnect, REMOVE them from BTSync2.  Both legacy 1.4 folders and newer 2.0 style folders.

2: How can I move a folder from the default install location to where it should be?

Those were trivial in 1.4, I can't find a way to do it in 2.0.  And claiming that I am not putting in the effort without doing any critical thinking is not only supremely presumptuous and wrong, it is the height of arrogance.  Doubly so when you don't explain where I am wrong.

Finally, the point here isn't that it isn't fixable.  The point is that on an upgrade the defaults should not be set to break existing installs in a manner that takes far more effort to fix than it did to set up in the first place under the old software!

Actually, let me show you how it's done since I actually found it.

"Greyed, you can remove folders.  Unfortunately the people who made BTSync2's UI decided to have the window too small to see all the options.  Once you disconnect a folder you cannot right click on it to alter its options, namely to reconnect it.  However there is a button to the right of the folder list.  You need to either use the scrollbar at the bottom or enlarge the window to see that button.  Remove is also there.  Finally, none of these show up unless you are mousing over the folder."

See the difference.  What you did was rude.  The above explains exactly what I was missing and where to find it.

Gee wonder which one of us has actually spent time on a support desk.

I actually didnt call any one person person out or make a specific target, it actually was intended as a general comment aimed at those who really seemed to have no vested effort into fixing their problems not only here but in virtually every thread. This is just where I had a little outburst.    After I spent probably 12+ hours hopelessly trying to fix firewalls and router configs on 4 computers and 3 routers to narrow down my problem,getting the folder (1) problem, and general frustrations of setting up BT2 I have been a little annoyed.  Mainly because I spent half my time sifting through useless posts of people complaining but nobody really helping them or viable solutions being posted in a fashion that actually pinpointed or helped solved the problem.  

At any rate, I am not the person I made myself out to be and I am not to bullheaded to admit I made a mistake by posting so hastily and with the tone I chose.  If it was taken personal, and you or anyone else was offended I do apologize.  I am here to learn and to help, I did neither with my post.  

Good argument

My argument of 'this is wrong' in response to your defense of this "feature" was as substantive as your defense.

You may want 2.0 to be great out of the box to justify your paying for it, but it's just not there. Time to accept it and and start expecting better from the people developing a product many of us have spent hours and hours, literally dollars and dollars, to help configure, provide feedback, and issue bug reports for. For two years.