Downgrade Fail : Crashes After 2.0 To 1.4

kevork

I followed the HELP CENTER directions on my Home comp.

http://help.getsync.com/customer/portal/articles/1901257-how-to-downgrade-from-2-0-to-1-4-

Home comp: Copied backup folder to desktop, uninstall 2.0, install 1.4 without allowing program to run, copy the contents of the backup folder, overwrite when prompted.

Launch sync.  Crash. 

Then, on my work comp I tried to simply uninstall, without modifying the backup folder.

Work comp:  Uninstall 2.0, restart, install 1.4.

Launch sync.  Crash

I have dump files if that will help.  Anyone else have this problem?

Both machines are Windows 7 Ultimate 64

Home dump (latest) https://www.dropbox.com/s/iu75lfo7ysvlecq/17039471-sync.ae95.dmp?dl=0

Work dump (latest) https://www.dropbox.com/s/19lrkjivpww7jgt/17039471-sync.6931.dmp?dl=0

post-28124-0-61104500-1426197420_thumb.j

The instructions DO NOT WORK (at least they did not for me either!)

1: You need to check the tick box for remove all settings at the appropriate time in the uninstall sequence  - this is STILL MISSING FROM THE INSTRUCTIONS DESPITE ME TELLING PEOPLE MORE THAN TWO TIMES NOW I found that in missing this it was impossible to install the old software.

2: It is FAR easier (IMHO) to simply uninstall 2.0 COMPLETELY and reinstall 1.4 - I have had to do this on my two machines as well - one on win764ultimate one on win8.1

I resorted to searching out and deleting ALL the .bts and .sync stuff and starting from scratch.  The disturbing thing (for me) after doing all of this is that when adding folders back in 1.4 I am told the folder already has an old share and I have to tick the box to reassign it.  If I had removed the program and all settings why is this happening ?  

@ DEV's - feature request:  MAKE THE UNINSTALL ACTUALLY UNINSTALL ALL OF THE PROGRAM NOT JUST PART OF IT!!!  this is the way real software works - the professional way that software you pay for works - please take note!!!!!!!

So, what do I need to do to uninstall BT Sync 2.0 completely?  If I want to install 1.4 or otherwise.  Do I need to hunt down all offending files? What else is there besides the straight forward files?  Should I use a 3rd party software to eliminate residual files?

@ Kevork - yes you should !!  I use revouninstaller - but it ONLY works when you use it right from the start of the uninstall sequence - it can't find offending files after you have used the windows uninstall.  Perhaps the Devs could tell us what other files/folders are left behind following a standard windows uninstall where the 'remove' all settings button has been left blank (as it does not tell you to tick it in the knowledge base instructions !!)

@all,

Indeed, there is 1 item missing in the instructions list - we'll fix it. I apologize for inconvenience.

@kevork

If it is still relevant - you can go to %appdata%\BitTorrent Sync, delete all files there (Sync should be off, of course) and copy there files that were in sync-v1-backup-#######.

During uninstallation on Windows - you need to check the checkbox "Also remove settings". During uninstallation on Mac you'll need to delete ~/Library/Application Support/BitTorrent Sync

@colinabroad

2: It is FAR easier (IMHO) to simply uninstall 2.0 COMPLETELY and reinstall 1.4 - I have had to do this on my two machines as well - one on win764ultimate one on win8.1

There were a wide number of complains from users during 1.3 - 1.4 migration who requested us for the downgrade path - so we provided it in 2.0. Note, that "remove all an configure from scratch" will always work.

@ DEV's - feature request:  MAKE THE UNINSTALL ACTUALLY UNINSTALL ALL OF THE PROGRAM NOT JUST PART OF IT!!!  this is the way real software works - the professional way that software you pay for works - please take note!!!!!!!

Actually, a wide variety of applications leave their data on PC when uninstalling - in case the data can be reused later. Some of them do it silently, some - let user know that data is still there and can be used. Sync proposes to remove data during uninstallation process to give user more control over its disk space.

• 4 weeks later...

@kevork

Sync stores its service files in next locations:

1) "storage folder" stores DBs, your keys, certificates, etc. You can find location of storage folder here for various OSes, see paragraph #3

2) in every synced folder there is a hidden subfolder ".sync". It contains folder-specific data.

As Sync crashes, the issue is very likely in storage folder - and it needs to be cleaned up. The only folder(s) I can recommend to leave there would be "sync-v1-backup-#######" as it is backup of your storage folder of 1.4 version.