If A Read-Only Peer Tampers With The Content

Hey. This might be a stupid question. But what exactly happens if a peer with read-only access to a folder modifies or changes it's contents? Or if a large number of users attempt to do it? Is it possible to fake content without the read/write-key in any way?

Thanks for the clarification.

What I'm asking is this: suppose User A wants to share a bittorrent sync key on a public forum, or in some other context where he/she doesn't know who will be accessing the content. To ensure the content is not tampered with, User A only published the read only-secret.

Lets say User B comes along and syncs to the folder. As User B is a malicious fucker he/she edits some important text document to exclude important information.

Then User C comes along. At the time, User A is not online, so only User B can seed the folder. What does User C get? Just an empty folder until User A logs back in an provides the authentic file? Or will User B connect at all? What is the standard procedure when files conflict with the original when using a read only-secret?

Edited by maximalism

Ah gotcha. Gotta watch those User B's out there...

Hopefully a mod or someone that has tested the overwrites can chime in (I always check Overwrite Changes as it fits my needs) but how I understand it is (basically yes to your last question):

Assuming Overwrite Changes isn't checked for User B or C

1. User A (source) shares the R/O key

2. User B changes a file they received from User A. That file is now outside of the sync process kind of like it was added to the IgnoreList

3. User C would not get anything until User A comes online because User B doesn't really have the file